Hello from Southampton, England :)

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Mr Alias

Hello from Southampton, England :)

Post by Mr Alias »

Hello everyone.

I'm a 21 year old electronic engineering graduate with a strong interest in autonomous systems due to my background working small hours in the defence industry (I would love to work on them professionally).

I recently built an autonomous ground vehicle for my dissertation project but it is the underwater stuff that interests me, especially as an RC hobby (Quadcopters look fun but their designs are boringly standardised).

I've have various parts currently coming in the mail (bilge pumps are seriously underrated) and it looks like it will be easy to rig everything with a 12v battery.

I have my amateur testing tank for trails (paddling pool :P) with various bits of hose pipe and water bottle slung around. I am currently looking for something to use as a ballast tank as I intend to have a snorkel system with an air pump on the surface controlling buoyancy.

The pressure hull/ballast tank are major design issues (I cannot find anything to build them with) and so this will be what I will be querying everyone about later.

It should be fun and I am quite excited about the result.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.
Bindo

Re: Hello from Southampton, England :)

Post by Bindo »

Welcome to the board!

Ballast systems are pretty difficult to achieve. Normally used for large tracked systems, though this may be the route you want to go down?

The tanks don't have to be pressure rated if left open at the bottom, with a dump valve on top for descent, and your air inlet mounted mid way.

Pvc drain pipe might be an option for you and very cost effective!
Mr Alias

Post by Mr Alias »

Hi Bindo,

Simplicity is what I am going for and on a budget as well :P

A very simple ballast system will allow me to move in the vertical dimension with a simple push switch activating the air pump on the surface. I can let the air bleed out passively with small holes in the tank at the top but I could definitely add a solenoid (dump valve) later on for better control.

I can then use two bilge pumps for vectoring left, right and forward. (Nice and cheap :p).

My dad has some spare soil pipe which I hope to use for the ballast tank, but I cannot find a decent way to end it :/

I would love to have some flanged pipe for really effective electronics sealing with a custom Perspex window for a camera, but I don't know where to begin looking for that?

Cheers.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Ordering online is your best bet, unless you know any plumbers?

I'd recommend the style of pipework http://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/Class- ... _1517.html it'll take anything you are likely to throw at it. Plus you can get flanges for this stuff too.

Whatever your dad has lying about, might have a bs number printed on it. Measure the pipe and Google the bs number and hopefully that will point you in the right direction.
Mr Alias

Post by Mr Alias »

Oh wow, I was searching all day for 110mm soil pipe caps, what a good website to have it all in one place.

15 bar should be more than enough!

Cheers. :)