Homebuilt Rov Forum

Exploring the Hobby of Building your own ROV - Imagine, Create, Inspire.
It is currently Sep 19th, 2017, 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Jun 13th, 2017, 10:52 am 

After lurking around this forum for over a year, I've finally started to make the first steps towards building the ROV that I've been designing in my head. I decided to use Google Sketchup to do my first simple design to see how it would look and fit together, as well as posting it on here to get the opinion of more experienced builders.

However, simple is not how I would describe this design. I cannot for the life of me get a hole in the large cylinder with the thrusters in it. I've tried every known method recommended on the internet, with no success. I've added a picture just in case anyone can help. I would add the file but .skp files aren't allowed apparently.

Attachments:
File comment: Where I've been trying to add holes.
2017-06-13.png
[ Viewed 348 times ]

PostPosted: Jun 14th, 2017, 4:20 pm 

I've never used Sketchup but if it's like most CAD programs you can try creating an offsetting plane, then draw a sketch on that plane in relation to where you want the holes and then just extrude/remove. (terms might be different on Sketchup)

Something like this maybe.
Offset.jpg
[ Viewed 333 times ]

Offset Plane to side + new sketch

Offset2.jpg
[ Viewed 333 times ]

Extrude/remove sketch to create hole.

You should be able to post the .skp file you just have to .zip it first.

-Steve

PostPosted: Jun 14th, 2017, 4:54 pm 

I've tried doing something along the lines of that, but the issue is that once I've extruded the new cylinder through the old one and intersected the faces, the section of the cylinder that I want to make a hole in can't be separated from the rest of the curved face of the cylinder and so I can't make a hole. The side cylinder is comprised of quite a few groups and components, which may not help.

Apparently, my file is too large, so I may be an idiot who can't compress properly. Anyway, I've added a link to the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9iu3412cnpw8 ... 2.skp?dl=0

PostPosted: Jun 19th, 2017, 5:05 pm 

I've managed to make the holes. It works if you make any holes you want in the side of the cylinder before making the larger cylinder hollow.