Taking a poll

A spot for any other misc. programing languages not covered above.
medemt

Taking a poll

Post by medemt »

OK all. For a newbie that has no real experience with Arduino or Raspberry Pi, Which one do you recommend and why?

Thanking you in advance.
Dan
bigbadbob

Re: Taking a poll

Post by bigbadbob »

Arduino is much easier to learn.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Depends on what you are wanting to do.

Arduino is more suited for controlling analog circuits, such as servos, dimmable lighting, esc's, reading values from temp sensors, pressure sensors, fuel sensors. Stand-alone processor running tasks, or joystick control, but no interface screen. Just pre-programmed 'sketches'.

Raspberry Pi is good for a lightweight computer (won't run Windows). It comes with Raspbian, Chromium web browser, and can be connected to a computer monitor or TV via HDMI. It is good for interfacing an Arduino to the internet, say for remote access to your robot project. As far as controlling things it only has digital outputs, IE turn lights on and off, motors on or off, but not control speed.

They make all kinds of 'hats' for both Raspberry Pi and Arduino that plug into the GPIO headers that will do various things, such as control servos, or a stereo audio amp.
Ianth3impler

Post by Ianth3impler »

You can use a rpi to stream video over ethernet, and control ESCs /servos with a PWM hat. I would look into adrusub which is pretty much a Rpi hooked up to drone flight controller with free ROV software. All you have to do is design your ROV around its motor configuration.
medemt

Post by medemt »

Thank you all for the input.

Ianth3impler, thanks for the info. I looked at it briefly and will give it some serious consideration.

Dan
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Yo te diría que tu primero me tienes que contestar a una pregunta

¿Tu sabes algún lenguaje de programación?

O estas intentando hacer el proyecto sin saber ningún lenguaje de programación.

No es que a mi me interesen tus niveles de conocimiento, pero es un buen punto de partida para poder elegir un tipo de controlador, u otro.

Si tu no sabes ningún lenguaje de programación, y quieres aprender uno, a ti te puede dar igual cual aprender, pero si ya tienes conocimientos de un lenguaje de programación, elige la placa que utilice ese lenguaje.

Un saludo.

I would tell you that you first have to answer a question

Do you know some programming language?

Or are you trying to do the project without knowing any programming language.

Not that I'm interested in your knowledge levels, but it's a good starting point to be able to choose one type of controller, or another.

If you don't know any programming language, and you want to learn one, you can be no matter what to learn, but if you already have knowledge of a programming language, choose the board that uses that language.

Greetings.
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Yo por ejemplo en mi proyecto estoy utilizando Arduino, para el control del vehiculo, el control de los motores y el control de los sensores, y yo estoy utilizando la Raspberry para la transmisión de vídeo en tiempo real.

Un saludo.

For example in my project I am using Arduino, for vehicle control, motor control and sensor control, and I am using the Raspberry for real-time video transmission.

Greetings.
medemt

Post by medemt »

asesorplaza1,

I have not had any real experience with either. I have done some reading on both, but not in-depth as I did not want to confuse myself with one and then decide to go another way.

What I ultimately would like to do is to have the most features on my ROV as I can.
* Thruster direction
* Thruster speed control
* Either joystick or another more advanced steering system
* Video - live and recordable
* Camera adjustment one axis for sure, two possibly
* Manipulator control (motor driven clamping) - In /out position for storing or use (optional)
* Navigation readout of ROV and the control position (like in a boat)
* As much information on the viewing screen as possible.
* Future functions and features could include, GPS, water temp, etc. I say dream big and see if I can achieve it.

Now some of this will maybe come later or I might choose to put all the electronics together first and build the platform around that. I like what you said about what you are doing with both Raspberry and Arduino. I would not rule out learning both coding types.
medemt

Post by medemt »

asesorplaza1

Are you posting your build here on the forum? I would like to understand what you are doing.

Dan
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Buenos días.

Si, yo lo estoy publicando en el siguiente enlace

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1908

Con la ayuda de bigbadbob , estamos depurando y arreglando el código.

Por lo que comentas, yo usaría Arduino, para el control de todo, y Raspberry solo para el vídeo.

Un saludo

Good morning.

Yes, I'm posting it in the following link

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1908

With the help of bigbadbob, we are debugging and fixing the code.

From what you're reviewing, I'd use Arduino, for control of everything, and Raspberry just for video.

A greeting