Remoteme as an option for video and possibly control?

Anything to do with the Raspberry Pi
a_shorething

Remoteme as an option for video and possibly control?

Post by a_shorething »

Hey everyone, it's a been a minute.
I was going through some posts on here the other day and remembering all these convos. Great stuff!!!

I think I'm going to dust off my gear and see what I can put together.

One thing I recently discovered on the Adafruit site (highly recommend!!!) was a link to a remoteme option for Raspberry Pi. I wiped my old 16G SD card and booted up the Raspi again in an effort to reboot my project and found a link to another company that does webs hosting stuff (remoteme).
It's got some tutorials for things you can do for projects but the video streaming is what I wanted to do.
I'm actually a programmer (or was until a few years ago) but never learned python so I have been having trouble trying to put together a camera stream and control process that I liked on Raspi (had an XBOX remote setup using C#.NET through laptop, but that seemed like a lot to bring out there... ).

Remoteme (not affiliated) is freeware that gives you a token to use so only you (and anyone you give it to) can view the stream, but once you start it on the raspberry pi, it also has the ability to run other commands and control stuff. Stream to anything that has a browser....

One of the projects they have is for a Raspberry Pi FPV remote control car https://app.remoteme.org/en/#/app/quickstart This seemed like all of the (basic) things you'd want to use for an ROV so I'm going to give it a shot.
Last edited by a_shorething on Oct 22nd, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
fryslan76

Re: Remotme as an option for video and possibly control?

Post by fryslan76 »

There are also several tutorials on the net about forwarding a (video)stream to a tcp port and watch it directly with a browser for the PI. Don't know if this service requires to be online all the time?
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

fryslan76 wrote:There are also several tutorials on the net about forwarding a (video)stream to a tcp port and watch it directly with a browser for the PI. Don't know if this service requires to be online all the time?
the remoteme service?
Yes, I think it requires it to be online in order to work for this one. I was going to try to work with some kind of webcam functionality anyway, I kind of want to have an option to let other people view (and potentially pilot!) online.

The lag is like 170ms, (vs 140 I think on a local lan) Not sure if this will be an issue.
I actually really like the idea of having an option to let others view a dive in real time. How cool is that?

I'll probably (try to) use my phone as a mobile hotspot and then set it up to use this service. Will test on bench and report back...
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Mobile hotspot could solve it, dunno about your part of the States, but last year when I visited Texas I found a lot of county without decent mobile internet or cellphone service :) Here in the Netherlands we have 4G minimal everywhere now a days.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

fryslan76 wrote:Mobile hotspot could solve it, dunno about your part of the States, but last year when I visited Texas I found a lot of county without decent mobile internet or cellphone service :) Here in the Netherlands we have 4G minimal everywhere now a days.
Yeah we'll see. I live on the east coast of NJ. Pretty densely populated and lots of access to mobile svc. - there's like 8-10 feet of water in every part of the bay and my little open boat isn't comfortable more than 1/2 mile from shore, so I get service pretty much everywhere I would be.
If the lag is an issue though I may have to modify my plan....
asesorplaza1

Re: Remoteme as an option for video and possibly control?

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Buenas noches

Creo que no es lo mismo que tu pretendes, pero se parece un poco.
Yo también he intentado ver las imágenes en tiempo real, (no soy programador, y conseguir cualquier cosa, me cuesta un montón de tiempo de investigación por la red), pero he conseguido, de una manera fácil, ver las imágenes en tiempo real en mi ordenador con una Raspberry pi 3 +, una cámara USB, y un programa llamado VLC media player.
En el programa, en la primera pestaña que pone Medio, hay una opción que pone Abrir ubicación de red, aparece un dialogo y en la pestaña red, aparece una línea en blanco, si en esa línea pones la dirección URL de tu Raspberry, y abajo en las opciones le das a reproducir, puedes ver las imágenes en vivo.
Te dejo el enlace por si te sirve de algo.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Un saludo.

Good night

I don't think it's the same thing you want, but it looks a little like it.
I have also tried to view the images in real time, (I am not a programmer, and getting anything, it costs me a lot of research time over the network), but I have managed, in an easy way, to view the images in real time on my computer with a Raspberry pi 3+, a USB camera, and a program called VLC media player.
In the program, in the first tab that says Medium, there is an option that says Open Network Location, a dialog appears and in the network tab, a blank line appears, if you put the URL of your Raspberry on that line, and below in the options you give to play, you can see the images live.
I'll leave you the link in case it's any use to you.

Greetings.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

asesorplaza1 wrote:Buenas noches

Creo que no es lo mismo que tu pretendes, pero se parece un poco.
Yo también he intentado ver las imágenes en tiempo real, (no soy programador, y conseguir cualquier cosa, me cuesta un montón de tiempo de investigación por la red), pero he conseguido, de una manera fácil, ver las imágenes en tiempo real en mi ordenador con una Raspberry pi 3 +, una cámara USB, y un programa llamado VLC media player.
En el programa, en la primera pestaña que pone Medio, hay una opción que pone Abrir ubicación de red, aparece un dialogo y en la pestaña red, aparece una línea en blanco, si en esa línea pones la dirección URL de tu Raspberry, y abajo en las opciones le das a reproducir, puedes ver las imágenes en vivo.
Te dejo el enlace por si te sirve de algo.

Un saludo.

Good night

I don't think it's the same thing you want, but it looks a little like it.
I have also tried to view the images in real time, (I am not a programmer, and getting anything, it costs me a lot of research time over the network), but I have managed, in an easy way, to view the images in real time on my computer with a Raspberry pi 3+, a USB camera, and a program called VLC media player.
In the program, in the first tab that says Medium, there is an option that says Open Network Location, a dialog appears and in the network tab, a blank line appears, if you put the URL of your Raspberry on that line, and below in the options you give to play, you can see the images live.
I'll leave you the link in case it's any use to you.

Greetings.
Thanks, I think I saw the VLC one but I had trouble getting it to work. I'll check it out.
So far the Remoteme setup I found seems a little cludgy- it's not as fast for me as it it in the video for the developer and the lag would be an issue I think.
I actually am (or was) a programmer but am new to Python. I was using an Arduino for previous iterations and the code is more intuitive for me but the Pi seems so much more powerful and flexible I want to keep trying.
At this point if I can't solve the lag problem I think I may go with two cameras and have two options for viewing: 1 for piloting the ROV which would be whatever resolution will allow me to have almost zero lag and one that would be higher resolution for recording and/or viewing by a second person, possibly via web.
Tinker, tinker, tinker... :)
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

[quote="a_shorething"
Tinker, tinker, tinker... :)
[/quote]
That sounds all to familiar. More tinkering here than diving. It took me also a while to get the VLC option to work with my previous webcam, which had a horrible resolution, can't remember about lag. I have since then switched to a PI cam. Did some testing with the video which where successful but, I haven't included it the software so far.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Have you guys seen the EZ WiFi Broadcast thread over on rcgroups?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -made-easy!