PI and I2C communication with a Arduino.

Anything to do with the Raspberry Pi
fryslan76

PI and I2C communication with a Arduino.

Post by fryslan76 »

I am playing around with I2C communications since i do not want to add a hub or switch topside or in the ROV. Found this link and the code is working and very easy.

http://blog.oscarliang.net/raspberry-pi ... ected-i2c/

Now trying to rebuild my interface on the PI, since QT4 is not used on the PI but QT5.
Oldsirhippy

Re: PI and I2C communication with a Arduino.

Post by Oldsirhippy »

I wasn't clear what you would be using the I²C for.
I²C is an Inter-Integrated Circuit bus and as can only be used for short distance connections.
So, are you using it to talk to other devices solely within your top side or solely within the ROV?
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

I am using it only in the ROV. As a way to eliminate the need of an UTP HUB/Switch. Currently the PI provides the camera and the access to the Arduino. When I find a nice IP Camera I probaly will switch to an Arduino with a Ethernet shield and all processing topside.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Thanks for posting, this is really interesting.

Another option is to eliminate the Arduino and use the PI with I2C to control everything. Adafruit has an I2C PWM board with 16 channels that they offer as an Arduino shield or as a board that just needs I2C connections. It's addressable too, so you can set up as many of them as you will need in an ROV and have PWM control over each channel.

I got one of each and I'm going to see what works better.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

I am not going for a fully controlled PI based ROV because my PI model A with 256 MB Ram lacks the power to handle both camera and control. At least that is my estimate at the moment. The arduino and ethernet shield and sensor shield are allready on my table. So for the camera am I looking for a better IP camera. Or I will just record with my dive camera and accept the lower frame rate for the steering camera.

Regards,