Raspberry PI based ROV

Anything to do with the Raspberry Pi
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Raspberry PI based ROV

Post by KR2_Diving »

Can I just say... I LOVE the look of the H.U.D.! :grip: :grip: :grip:
Was planning on revisiting my OSD modules this weekend... now...
Based on what you have done here, I'm starting to rethink the whole thing... Looks like you get a much better resolution with your set up.

Hmm...

Keep up the great work!

Ryan
"KR2_Diving"
Moki

Post by Moki »

(The ROV HUD layout, is not my idea.... just my implementation of something I found on the internet, google "nemo rov hud")

Anyways, we have (basic) Gamepad support in the software, using (Chrome Version 39.0.2171.65 m).
Won't work in IE 11, it has no support for gamepads.

If you use anything else, test it or ask.

Code: Select all

Gamepad : Xbox 360 Controller (XInput STANDARD GAMEPAD)
Gamepad : 4 Axes
Gamepad : 16 Buttons
Moki

Post by Moki »

Writing node_modules, so we can get rid of the "shell script hacks" for the sensors.

MS5803-14A:
- Coming along just fine, we are getting the data. (needs some tweaking)
MPU-9150:
- Data is fine, needs some Math functions to convert data to (yaw,roll,pitch) rotation degrees.
MCP3424:
- Looks good, waiting for the mailman to deliver Volt/Current sensor.
Moki

Post by Moki »

Looks like Internet Explorer (IE) will also support the Gamepad API, which I use to have support for the Xbox (360/One) controller for the Raspberry PI ROV.

This IE version can be downloaded at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Hi Moki,

I was shameless in downloading your node.js stuff to see what it would do. I hope to recieve my PI B+ with camera tomorrow. When installing it on my old A model. It started complaining about the package adafruit-pca9685 which is missing from your install package.
Bad luck for me was that the git site of adafruit-pca9685 gives a package which is not that easy to install since it is not publised.

Kind Regards,

Fryslan76
Moki

Post by Moki »

Yea, the creator of the adafruit-pca9685 package never got to the part of publishing it to NPM.
Just find it on github (i think it was: git clone https://github.com/johntreacy/adafruit-pca9685 )
and install it (run the got clone command in) in "rov-pi/node_modules"

If you really get really stuck... contact me by email.. so we can exchange mobilenumbers ;) or organize a dutch rov builders meeting :shock:

Currently i am focussing on my 3D printer... as my MPU9150 got blown up (replacement was in the mail, today)
Moki

Post by Moki »

With the hardware almost complete, again... it time to go back to programming.

For those that missed the adafruit-pca9685 package, i published it to NPM myself.
So that problem should be over... now to the next steps.

Ofcourse... if you have a problem with the software.. just post it here.
Maybe it easy to fix and ill post a bugfix/update of the software for you.
Moki

Post by Moki »

For those still following this thread... i have a new version out.

Get it from:
https://github.com/Moki38/Moki-ROV
perfo

Post by perfo »

Excellent project, Thanks for sharing this. I may shamelessly borrow a lot of your code as it is pretty much doing just what I wanted (hope that's ok).
I'm using an independent IP camera with PTZ just so it takes any processor burden off of the PI and anyone with a browser that can access the net the ROV is on can view the pics thus I don't have to worry about clients and password etc etc as this is all done in the cam.

Can I ask a few questions ?

Is you depth / temp / compass / giros etc all in the one package ? The reason I ask is both links seem to go to the same product. Currently being sold for $80...and does this have to be mounted outside the ROV hull to get accurate temperature reading ?

Have you tried using the compass stuff underwater ? Would it be good enough to self navigate the ROV to a given position or does it drift too much?

I'm just learning this stuff and wonder if I'm not using the camera or mpeg streaming what can I leave out of your code ?
Moki

Post by Moki »

perfo wrote:Excellent project, Thanks for sharing this. I may shamelessly borrow a lot of your code as it is pretty much doing just what I wanted (hope that's ok).
I'm using an independent IP camera with PTZ just so it takes any processor burden off of the PI and anyone with a browser that can access the net the ROV is on can view the pics thus I don't have to worry about clients and password etc etc as this is all done in the cam.
The RPI doesn't do much with the videodata anyway, just pushing from USB to ETHERNET. No need (imho) to get a expensive PTZ.
I have tested the RPI B+ with 4 Webcams (needs an expernal USB hub for power) but works... not with 25fps or 720p (ymmv).
Even opened 3 camera windows, on 1 stream.. that test went very well.
perfo wrote:Can I ask a few questions ?
Ofcourse ;)
perfo wrote:Is you depth / temp / compass / giros etc all in the one package ? The reason I ask is both links seem to go to the same product. Currently being sold for $80...and does this have to be mounted outside the ROV hull to get accurate temperature reading ?
The OpenROV sensor comes with a MS5803-14A and a MPU-9150. $80 looks like a lot of money, but Sparkfun sells the MS5803-14a for (i think) $60. I think the MS5803-14A is just an expensive sensor. Haven't found a replacement for it, but if you don't go 100's of meter depth.. i am sure, you could do without one.
perfo wrote:Have you tried using the compass stuff underwater ? Would it be good enough to self navigate the ROV to a given position or does it drift too much?
The IMU (MPU-9150) does nothing with navigation. It just tells you how your ROV is positioned (roll/pitch/yaw) to the earth forces. For correct positioning, you would also need a way to measure distance traveled or SOG (Speed over Ground). It gets hard when your ROV moves, due to water currents.
perfo wrote:I'm just learning this stuff and wonder if I'm not using the camera or mpeg streaming what can I leave out of your code ?
The code is open-source, use it as much as you need. But please mention my name ;)

The software doesn't do anything with camera or mjpeg stream. If you don't start the mjpeg_streamer... the software still works.
You could try to point the <iframe> reference in the "public/index.html" to your PTZ stream. It may just work.