Clear Hard Simple Domes

Our Eye's under the water.
Java2

Clear Hard Simple Domes

Post by Java2 »

I am trying out different ways of getting clear domes to use to protect my camera. I have experimented with different ways of cutting glass, but that has been no luck. I am almost surpassing my budget, so is their anything I can do around $ 15-20 bucks??
ROZ

Re: Clear Hard Simple Domes

Post by ROZ »

i remember when i was a kid there were those toy vacuum cleaners with the ball inside the clear dome. Maybe something like that\???
what have you tried so far?
Java2

Post by Java2 »

I've tried a ton. Ivetryed cutting glass, just a flat plate. Then I even tried an apple sauce plastic container. They didn't work that well. The ball of the vacuum cleaner thing sounds cool tho.
ROZ

Post by ROZ »

this is what i was thinking, but you might want to take a walk around a toy store and see what you can find. Also depending on the size you want, you could go to a bubble gum machine and use one of those plastic domes you get the toy in.
Attachments
popper_big.jpg
popper_big.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 8535 times
Java2

Post by Java2 »

Very good idea!! I'll have to act like a child and go to my local Toys R Us!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I wasn't too keen on using the stock camera dome I had. It seemed so thin and flimsy. After a lot of researching to locate a supplier for custom domes I found just the place. The company "EZ Tops " custom built a dome to my specs. Clear acrylic 3/16" thick, 6 1/2" diameter, 3 1/4" high with a 3/4" flange. It takes them about two weeks to get to your order and they manufacture on site exactly what you want. Three weeks later it arrived very well packaged and it is flawless. The best part was the total cost after shipping. It was only $40.00 USD and I now have an very well made super strong dome.

http://www.cleardomes.com/smalldomes.htm

Anthony
If your diameter is less than than 6" the price drops also.

Anthony
Java2

Post by Java2 »

Thanks I'll try that!
perfo

Post by perfo »

Anything similar in the UK ?
perfo

Post by perfo »

http://www.plasticsforyou.co.uk

I got a 3mm thick acrylic dome from these folk in the uk. It looks pretty clear and un-distorting.. Haven't tried a camera through it in water yet though...
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Looking at there website I see that they make domes to order even boxes with a flange, so add a lit in which you place your connections form a plastic board with a seal and you have your electronics box. :idea: ?