Waterproof Live Feed Camera Suggestions

Our Eye's under the water.
JFindlow

Waterproof Live Feed Camera Suggestions

Post by JFindlow »

Hi! I am planning on building an underwater ROV and would like to attach a waterproof camera that can provide a live feed to a laptop on the surface, ideally with an HDMI cable. The ROV will most likely be traveling less than 20 meters. I have done a decent amount of research and haven't found any cameras that fit what I'm looking for. As far as price goes I would like to spend $130 or less. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, Jake
PhilA

Re: Waterproof Live Feed Camera Suggestions

Post by PhilA »

You could possibly use any action camera or Dash Cam with a RCA or USB output and then get a USB to HDMI or RCA to HDMI adaptor to plug it into the laptop. You would still have to waterproof the camera or the where the cable penetrates the waterproof housing.
JFindlow

Post by JFindlow »

PhilA wrote:You could possibly use any action camera or Dash Cam with a RCA or USB output and then get a USB to HDMI or RCA to HDMI adaptor to plug it into the laptop. You would still have to waterproof the camera or the where the cable penetrates the waterproof housing.
I'm mainly not sure how I can make the camera waterproof while still giving the camera full visibility in the water. I thought of some ideas to make it waterproof, mostly by using threaded PVC, but I'm not sure if this is the most practical way. If I can find an action camera that has a waterproof case with hdmi access that I can buy then I will be set.
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

This is PVC fittings from Home Depot.
Attachments
ROV camera 006.jpg
ROV camera 006.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

I don't think there would be any low cost camera that would have a waterproof HDMI port to provide a live feed whilst submerged. There are a few low cost action cams that come with a waterproof acrylic housing which you could fabricate a connection through but then accessing the camera and SD card may be a challenge.