Any LED Guru's Out there? Camera Lighting Questions.

Our Eye's under the water.
rehoward

Any LED Guru's Out there? Camera Lighting Questions.

Post by rehoward »

I would like to build a circular array of bright LED lights to put around the lens of an underwater camera. The camera and LED array will be protected by a water proof housing. I am envisioning a lens hood that I can machine from aluminum with provisions to mount two circular rows of LED's around the lens, maybe 30-40 LED's total. I have noticed that "super" LED's are now available except that from what I have learned these units gobble up power and are square shaped and a bit large as they have a heat sink incorporated.

Anyway, I think some exceptionally bright white LED's with the 5MM cylindrical body would be easier to work with. Can someone tell me where to buy really bright 5MM LED's and what I am looking at for suitable power? I intend to power my device with 12VDC (or 11.1 volt) batteries such as a LiPo battery stack used by RC hobbyists.

Randy
TigerShark

Re: Any LED Guru's Out there? Camera Lighting Questions.

Post by TigerShark »

There are a few places to buy inexpensive high power LED's one being DX.com. I have a pair of 5W Cree LEDs on my ROV with diffusor lenses that give a very nice spread with almost no shadows or artifacts. They are mounted in 1" aluminum tubing and potted with the drivers. The pair draws 1A at 12V. You really want your lights away from the camera to prevent backscatter. This is when you light up all the floating particles in the water right in front of the camera so you can't see anything.
Oldsirhippy

Re: Any LED Guru's Out there? Camera Lighting Questions.

Post by Oldsirhippy »

@rehoward - what did you use to pot the electronics and led?