How well does IR do in murky water?

Our Eye's under the water.
Goodluckfox

How well does IR do in murky water?

Post by Goodluckfox »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the sediment and such that causes such low visibility (such as what we have in our near-coastal waters here in northeast Florida) may not cause as much decrease in visibility in the IR spectrum. Can anybody confirm?

ANybody have an strategies for dealing with seeing through soupy water?
Bindo

Re: How well does IR do in murky water?

Post by Bindo »

Murky water reflects whatever you shine at it. However if you use an ir camera and an incandescent light, it's a good combo

An ir camera would probably be best, however if you can, a colour and IR camera with on board switcher would be much much better
Goodluckfox

Post by Goodluckfox »

http://dragon.larc.nasa.gov/background/ ... 778-95.pdf

That looks like it might be useful someday.
Goodluckfox

Post by Goodluckfox »

And maybe this.... if it can see through fog maybe it can see through soupy water.
http://www.drsinfrared.com/Products/Tamarisk640.aspx

Looks like it costs in the low kilobucks. But if it makes the difference between seeing inches and seeing several feet it might be worth it, depending on the application.
sthone

Post by sthone »

That looks like FLIR technology, I've seen police videos where people are being chased and then go into the water and the FLIR can no longer see them so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work under water.

I think the thing that most people do is just try to put the lights at say a 45° to the camera lens so the light doesn't reflect back of the particles in the water and directly into the camera lens.

Overall I think if your water is that cloudy your going to be S.O.L. and would probably need a sonar at that point. I know there has been talk of converting fish finders to use as sonar but even a good fish finder with side scan sonar can be some big $$$$$$$$

-Steve :sting:
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Agree with Steve.

Thermal imaging cameras detect surface temp in air. Also I'd think that trying to fly with a resolution of 640x480 would be like trying to watch TV on a calculator.

Though you are on the right track I think, low light camera without an IR filter is something I'm looking in to