1080p action camera output / tether requirement

Our Eye's under the water.
rovdownunder

1080p action camera output / tether requirement

Post by rovdownunder »

Hi,
I am just about to start building an ROV with my daughters. We plan on:

- Onboard SJ4000 action camera
- Converting the micro USB output to an AV cable.
- Running the cable up the tether
- Portable DVD player / monitor (not a laptop)

I was reading on the forum about using baluns and ADCAP software.

My question is is the ADCAP software required? I won't be able to use any software on a plain monitor or DVD player. I am just wanting to keep things as simple as possible for our first venture.

Thanks.
Bindo

Re: 1080p action camera output / tether requirement

Post by Bindo »

I use a 15m cat5 tether without any issues, how long will your tether be?

You won't need any software, but your monitor should be capable of PAL/NTSC, whichever one the SJ4000 outputs.

the best thing you can do is knock up a quick test of the cam and circuit, i believe most AV signals should be ok up to 100m, beyond that you may need a balun.
rovdownunder

Post by rovdownunder »

Thanks Bindo. We're only intending to go 50m or so.
All good.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Welcome rovdownunder. If you are planning on using the same cat5 cable for camera and control, say one pair for video signal and the others for control of motors, then make allowance for future addition of baluns top and bottom, even if you do not use them first off. Personally I would be using baluns irrespective of cable length and there is no extra work involved by including them.

If your video signal is going to have it's own cable, then RG59 coaxial cable with a stranded (meaning not solid) centre conductor would be a better choice. No need to allow room for baluns in this case.

Also, make sure that the camera can support simultaneous record and live output if that is what you need.

Hope that helps.