What do you use for Monitors or Video Diplays?

Our Eye's under the water.
TigerShark

What do you use for Monitors or Video Diplays?

Post by TigerShark »

I am looking into one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390802302109
It is widescreen and 11" with 350cd/m brightness. What does everyone else use? I would like to find something cheaper but it seems like in this size options are limited. The main considerations seem to be:

Screen size
Aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 etc) Widescreens loose some real estate with standard video but could be better in the long run for HD in the future

Power requirements
inputs (RCA Composite)
Audio or not
Brightness (readability in daylight) 350cd/m is marginal but better than many displays

I have to fit mine into a Pelican 1450 case lid.
chiliman77

Re: What do you use for Monitors or Video Diplays?

Post by chiliman77 »

For what it's worth (not sure if you've pulled the trigger on a screen yet or not) I had a setup with that Tview screen inside a case lid. I ran into a lot of trouble trying to use the first person display to drive my ROV, as I couldn't really see the underwater video on that. I ended up not going very deep and watching it from the surface to control it, which is obviously very limiting and not the intent.

I'm still trying to figure this out myself, I switched to an LCD from a laptop with an ebay hacked controller and ran into the same issue.

In both instances, I recorded the video, and when I upload it to my computer the file is visible (still not great, but the water isn't that clear) and could be used to drive if I had been seeing it real time.

When I was switching out the screens, I did realize that the Tview appeared to have a viewing direction biased down (polarized down? Not sure how to say this, but you could see the screen much more clearly if you looked at it from the bottom than if you looked down on it from the top, as you would in a pelican case). The laptop LCD seemed to be exactly opposite, but still didn't help much.

I hope you find this useful, I'm probably going to post a different thread to see if other people have similar issues and find out what they did.
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

I use a military grade laptop they have a little bit better screen for out doors and then put that in a box
still not the best but do able
I have been thinking about goggles use for flying quad copters, Fat Shark is one brand
kenl

Post by kenl »

There are cheap, sub $50 "goggles" (foam box with screen) at hobby king, otherwise you need a 1000 nit- cd/m2 display or better, the panasonic tough books had some pretty impressive screens but are still expensive even second hand. Fat sharks are expensive, I wouldn't take them to the beach..

The cheap coggle is a good compromise, but orientation with goggles is the real challenge, you can't have a quick glance at the tether to see where the ROV is.

I think I've said it before, but in my opinion the two biggest obstacles to a hobby ROV,er is the tether and the video monitor.
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

I've been stuck on this one too... :cry:

I found a local supplier of monitors that have the LCD "bonded" to the front "glass" which produce around 450nit... they are "Daylight Viewable" but not cheap...
(Also known as Optically Bonded)

http://www.tru-vumonitors.com/sunlightr ... nitor.html

The VMOB-15B was quoted around $800 USD! :o (ok... it is a 15" screen, with a few bells and whistles... but still... as a point of reference!) ;)

So... no... not cheap... but these are the monitors used on Yachts and other outdoor installation in the Marine world... or so im told. :shock:
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Found another "if money wasn't an issue" screen that is exacly what we would WANT to use... but out of just about everyones budget!

The VT121CHB2 from VarTech Systems.
VT121CHB2
VT121CHB2
VT121CHB2-med.jpg (22.49 KiB) Viewed 7825 times
http://www.vartechsystems.com/techsheet ... 2tech.html

This guy has all the right specs for outdoor and sunlight readable use!
Contrast Ratio: 600:1 Typical
Brightness: 1000 Nits (cd/m2) Typical, Low-Power, high reliability Solid State LED Backlighting
Optical Bonding (VBOND) for added Shock & Vibration protection and/or reduced solar reflectivity
Back Light: 65,000 Hours Half Life

BUT it comes at a price: $1,973.00 USD Each