GoPro watertight housing and live feed?

Our Eye's under the water.
olegodo

GoPro watertight housing and live feed?

Post by olegodo »

Hello!

Does anyone have any good plans or ideas on how to DIY a hosing for a gopro with cables so that it can be used to live stream the video to the surface?
I can't find any off the shelf solution to this, the ones I have seen would not hold up at any depth.
rossrov

Re: GoPro watertight housing and live feed?

Post by rossrov »

hello olegodo. The first thing that comes to mind is to put the camera into the main pressure hull and use the same hull penetration approach as used with the control and data wires. Alternatively, but adds bulk, if you need to open up the main hull on a regular basis then consider a second smaller hull just for the camera, which, given my limited understanding of the GoPro, should not need be opened - stored video is accessible via USB? A small compartment external to the camera housing can house a USB socket and be sealed by a screw cap

I'm hoping here recording can be started or stopped via USB also, otherwise some hacking of camera would be needed. Consider putting a GoPro remote control inside the camera housing and hacking wires into that rather than the camera?

For the penetrations, epoxied solid wire would be my choice. Here is how the penetrations are done on my "prototype", however in future I would go to the effort of using a flange with O-ring - the screw caps a pain and the flat washers no good for much depth viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1069&start=20#p5681
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Thanks for the input rossrov.

I forgot to mention that I will not have a dry pressure hull on my rov, the electronics will be oil filled.
The camera I end up using will need its own watertight housing, which I will have to make myself if I end up using a gopro. And with very limited access to tools for making this housing I think I will end up with leaks :P

The gopro3 has built in wifi support, and can you can start/stop recording from the gopro remote or an app on your smartphone. this functionality can also be added to the older models.
SSN626B

Post by SSN626B »

@olegodo,
Try here: http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/c ... s/1817.htm
Regards,
SSN626B/TCIII
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Just for the sake of it, if you are going deeeeeeeeep :)

http://groupbinc.com/