Focus problem with GoPro camera behind Dome.

Our Eye's under the water.
Kale

Focus problem with GoPro camera behind Dome.

Post by Kale »

I have mounted a GoPro Hero3+ in my ROV and I realized that the GoPro can't focus behind a Dome. I will try to fix it with an extra lens in front of the camera. Do anyone here know what diopter I shall use? Or, is there another solution?

Regards,
Kale
sthone

Re: Focus problem with GoPro camera behind Dome.

Post by sthone »

Have you actually tested the focusing problem in/under the water?

I vaguely remember someone else having a similar problem but it was only when the Rov was out of the water that the camera would focus on the dome.

-Steve :sting:
Kale

Re: Focus problem with GoPro camera behind Dome.

Post by Kale »

I did a harbor dive and on the small monitor I use it looked ok. But on a bigger screen you can see that it is out of focus. GoPro has fixed focus that works well behind a flat port. I have tried to correct the focus with different lenses. +10 diopter and more gives focus in a very short distance. I'm not happy with that so now I will try to use a port with larger radius (more flat). And to do that I have to move the pan/tilt which means I have to refurnish the ROV:s inside, move the battery and make a new float to get it balanced again…

…and I will mount a second vertical thruster with a reversed propeller to avoid unwanted turning generated from the vertical thruster.