Auto calibrating ESC and Arduino

Anything to do with programing the Arduino Platform.
fryslan76

Auto calibrating ESC and Arduino

Post by fryslan76 »

For my ROV I am planning on using three ESC to control my motors. So far I played with servos attached to save me some noise in the house.
Just to be sure that I am the right track I switched to the ESC last time to check my code build in node.js and Arduino fermata. I ran into the issue that I did not get my ESC calibrated correctly.
I need to be certain that I send out a PWM signal for "neutral" or either my forward or reverse won't work.
So now I manually send a neutral signal and then switch on the ESC and wait a while and continue with the second and third. This is all easy and no problems on the kitchen table but in the ROV it could be a bit more nasty.

Anybody a smart suggestion on how you solved this?

Thanks.
Moki

Re: Auto calibrating ESC and Arduino

Post by Moki »

Set all pwm/ESC at once, than power up all the ESC, using a relay or ssr.
Used this for testing on my raspbery pi code, to reset esc settings.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Moki, where did you find a (solid) relay board able to switch 30A at 12V or something like that? So far I have not found one :(
Moki

Post by Moki »

2 steps...

A normal 5v relay, switching this one:
http://www.georgekniest.nl/Catalogus/St ... oduct.aspx
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Thanks, Moki. Last night I remembered something essential which made my question a bit of a silly one. You do not need to switch the power to the motors on. I could just connect those when I connect also the power for the rest of the ROV. I only need to replace the on-switches on the ESC with a switch/relay driven by the Arduino and that is 5V with no real current going through it.
Moki

Post by Moki »

Dont switch all esc on 1 relay (on / off) switch....

If you do, if you start one... You will start them all. (Been there, done that... Wasnt good)

Dont remember why it didnt work... Think it had something to do with the 12v side powering the esc's
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Thanks for the warning, was already searching for a board which could switch 4 ESC from the Arduino or PI. since I tried it manually all at the same time and ran into some issues like no reverse or no forward anymore.