Arduino gamepad control via USB host shield- no PC required-

Anything to do with programing the Arduino Platform.
perfo

Re: Arduino gamepad control via USB host shield- no PC requi

Post by perfo »

Sorry matey, which link is that ? I couldn't see one .....

I have a similar board to the 9DOF board but the one with barometer and temp sensor in I'm wrestling with ti in python and java script as we speak...
The VR glasses like the oculus rift thing is great but I wanted a HUD so that I can still see though the glasses, just look down and miraculously see writing or a picture as if displayed on a screen some meter or so away from me superimposed over the thing I'm looking at. Google glasses can do this as can another few similar products...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIvrVgLmWM
Augmented reality could be used with VR goggles and have a camera showing you what you would see if they were clear glass. But this isn't really what I tried to do but would do for your uses controlling a ROV..
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

perfo wrote:Sorry matey, which link is that ? I couldn't see one .....

I have a similar board to the 9DOF board but the one with barometer and temp sensor in I'm wrestling with ti in python and java script as we speak...
The VR glasses like the oculus rift thing is great but I wanted a HUD so that I can still see though the glasses, just look down and miraculously see writing or a picture as if displayed on a screen some meter or so away from me superimposed over the thing I'm looking at. Google glasses can do this as can another few similar products...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gIvrVgLmWM
Augmented reality could be used with VR goggles and have a camera showing you what you would see if they were clear glass. But this isn't really what I tried to do but would do for your uses controlling a ROV..
ha ha, sorry. I meant the one I posted in the other thread about control systems. :)

https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printed-w ... s/overview

I can't imagine how you would watch video for navigation if you could also see through the glasses. For me the glare is the issue. I get that you want to be able to do cool stuff like work through a menu but the part about allowing in any light is a killer for me. I can't even read my phone half the time when I'm out on the water.
perfo

Post by perfo »

Ah yes.. I've seen those wearable goggles thing and I guess getting the lens right for the screen/distance/ focus would be your biggest difficulty.

The ski goggles do tend to be fairly tinted and the back ground being snow helps. If I can describe it correctly it is just like having a projector on your head projecting text and simple graphics on to the floor some 1.5 meters in front of you and 2 meters wide.. tinting the glass would of course help a lot.. I may feel uncomfortable on a boat with totally no outside vision at all but it is quite possible with a screen and lenses and use head movements for left right up down.. but again you could use head movements to work a cursor on a menu system on the screen. It would be a real interesting thing to do and with the capabilities of a raspberry pi as long as you can get the physical things set up like focus etc then I don't think it would be that difficult. My wish is the other end of the scale for me in that I haven't a clue how I'd do it.. maybe a prism or mirror reflecting the picture at your eye but how you focus and stuff is a mystery to me at present.

With those wearable goggles what is the smallest screen size you can get away with? Maybe a view finder screen out of a camcorder or something... Put two screens (two cameras on the ROV with same spacing) and have 3D.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

perfo wrote:Ah yes.. I've seen those wearable goggles thing and I guess getting the lens right for the screen/distance/ focus would be your biggest difficulty.

The ski goggles do tend to be fairly tinted and the back ground being snow helps. If I can describe it correctly it is just like having a projector on your head projecting text and simple graphics on to the floor some 1.5 meters in front of you and 2 meters wide.. tinting the glass would of course help a lot.. I may feel uncomfortable on a boat with totally no outside vision at all but it is quite possible with a screen and lenses and use head movements for left right up down.. but again you could use head movements to work a cursor on a menu system on the screen. It would be a real interesting thing to do and with the capabilities of a raspberry pi as long as you can get the physical things set up like focus etc then I don't think it would be that difficult. My wish is the other end of the scale for me in that I haven't a clue how I'd do it.. maybe a prism or mirror reflecting the picture at your eye but how you focus and stuff is a mystery to me at present.

With those wearable goggles what is the smallest screen size you can get away with? Maybe a view finder screen out of a camcorder or something... Put two screens (two cameras on the ROV with same spacing) and have 3D.
They have another setup with much smaller individual viewfinders (I was thinking of the same kind of thing, with dual cameras) and it's pretty cheap at $110 (http://www.adafruit.com/product/1452) but the resolution is bad and they recommend hacking them to do something else because they're uncomfortable.

Maybe combine the different setups or use a pair of those little 1.8" screens in the larger housing (http://www.adafruit.com/product/802) in conjuction with the 9DOF board (code works for 10DOF too, but the 10th 'DOF' is altitude/barometer so doesn't really help in a hood).

Your idea for a control system is WAY more complicated than mine. I'm thinking in terms of two separate systems: 1 for control (KISS) and one for video (KISS as well). I plan to trigger onboard recording and view only the lowest res I can pump up as quickly as possible for the lowest latency I can get. The telemetry is going to be nice to have, but doesn't need to be too complicated for me. Depth is good, heading would be cool. Pitch/yaw and roll would be neat but not really part of the design requirements, so I don't see me needed a 'menu system' to work through either by hand or eye.

Also, you're probably not navigating using the hood, right? So why not just use joystick/gamepad buttons to decide what you see or to control the menu? This way the hood or video glasses or whatever are strictly providing your display (and possibly accepting pan/tilt input for camera).
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

a_shorething, not sure when you were referring to the head on your boat you meant the compartment or the thing inside it. The head on my boat is quite free from sunlight, especially when I open that little sliding door in the bottom of the bowl :shock: . That aside, when all the bugs are out of an ROV system and you know where the ROV and tether is in relation to the boat, a below-decks control station would be ideal. Until then, I agree, goggles or shaded control station on deck to manage tether etc. What I am slowly in the process of needing/doing display-wise could well be done using composite monitor, plus another composite monitor or low-res graphic display driven off an Arduino for data/telemetry. Graphical video overlay is of course possible using one of the Arduino shields made for this, but may clutter the image if active at all times. So no computer in the PC sense needed here either, just means the tether system needs to be able to carry composite video

perfo: Agree totally re mirror over lenses, and the need to be able to see where your feet are going when on a jetty or boat. The "immersive" field of view offered by VR goggles is not (IMO) required for ROV use. I have a small composite monitor, but would ideally go smaller, say down to 4", like one that Adafruit sell. So if one were to strap one of those onto his or her forehead (screen facing away from the skull :) ) and put a lightweight mirror out in front, at a distance for comfortable focusing, outside vision would still be possible. Also allows for spectacles to be worn if needed, which is something the commercial goggles apparently have challenges with. Reversing camera and monitor combinations have the image flipped left to right. The mirror puts this back the right way.
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

rossrov wrote:a_shorething, not sure when you were referring to the head on your boat you meant the compartment or the thing inside it. The head on my boat is quite free from sunlight, especially when I open that little sliding door in the bottom of the bowl :shock: . That aside, when all the bugs are out of an ROV system and you know where the ROV and tether is in relation to the boat, a below-decks control station would be ideal. Until then, I agree, goggles or shaded control station on deck to manage tether etc. What I am slowly in the process of needing/doing display-wise could well be done using composite monitor, plus another composite monitor or low-res graphic display driven off an Arduino for data/telemetry. Graphical video overlay is of course possible using one of the Arduino shields made for this, but may clutter the image if active at all times. So no computer in the PC sense needed here either, just means the tether system needs to be able to carry composite video

perfo: Agree totally re mirror over lenses, and the need to be able to see where your feet are going when on a jetty or boat. The "immersive" field of view offered by VR goggles is not (IMO) required for ROV use. I have a small composite monitor, but would ideally go smaller, say down to 4", like one that Adafruit sell. So if one were to strap one of those onto his or her forehead (screen facing away from the skull :) ) and put a lightweight mirror out in front, at a distance for comfortable focusing, outside vision would still be possible. Also allows for spectacles to be worn if needed, which is something the commercial goggles apparently have challenges with. Reversing camera and monitor combinations have the image flipped left to right. The mirror puts this back the right way.
ha ha. yeah, let's just say there is no 'below deck' on my boat.

Interesting idea about the reverse mounted display/mirror idea.

I can't wait to see some of these ideas tested out. I don't think I've seen any examples of display via goggles or a hood for an ROV yet. I've seen laptops and dedicated monitors built into cases and boxes.

Is there anyone using this approach yet?

Oh, and PS (and back on topic) I have one of these USB host shields on the way, I figure it should be here next week sometime. I plan to give that coding a shot and see how it works with an XBOX controller. - Will post back with code if it works.
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

USB host shield works with both 360 wireless controller and ps3 controller (bluetooth dongle needed for ps3). I have tested both using the hos shield code examples.

As for the goggles I also plan on using something similar as mentioned above. But I was just thinking of using a kit like the one below but changing the screen to one with higher resolution. Not sure how the whole 3D dual lens part in the adafruit kit will work with a non 3d source?
http://www.hobbyking.com/store/__53706_ ... _KIT_.html

I think I want the option to have the goggles mounted to my base station also. so I can look around without messing with the goggles and putting down the controller then put my head back down to the goggles when I need to. But at that point, a shroud around the laptop screen will do the same thing. :P
Just my thoughts :)
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

olegodo wrote:USB host shield works with both 360 wireless controller and ps3 controller (bluetooth dongle needed for ps3). I have tested both using the hos shield code examples.

As for the goggles I also plan on using something similar as mentioned above. But I was just thinking of using a kit like the one below but changing the screen to one with higher resolution. Not sure how the whole 3D dual lens part in the adafruit kit will work with a non 3d source?
http://www.hobbyking.com/store/__53706_ ... _KIT_.html

I think I want the option to have the goggles mounted to my base station also. so I can look around without messing with the goggles and putting down the controller then put my head back down to the goggles when I need to. But at that point, a shroud around the laptop screen will do the same thing. :P
Just my thoughts :)

Thanks for the confirmation Ole. Is that the route you're going (USB host controller)?

That second part sounds interesting...

Something like this:

ha ha!
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

Haha! :D something like that yes.

No, I was going to go that route in the start. But I found out that I am allergic to programming..
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

olegodo wrote:Haha! :D something like that yes.

No, I was going to go that route in the start. But I found out that I am allergic to programming..
Well, now that I'm going a different way with the design (away from PC and toward gamepad>arduino) maybe I can send you some code that you can use.