Help with H-bridge!

Anything to do with programing the Arduino Platform.
jpWA

Help with H-bridge!

Post by jpWA »

I've been trying to control a 12v bilge blower with an arduino, via this H-bridge motor driver. The pins are labeled:
VCC, R_IS, R_EN, RPWM
GND, L_IS, L_EN, LPWM
I know RPWM and LPWM are inputs for either direction of the motor, and VCC and GND are power and ground. One person selling these on ebay said that these four are all you need for it to work, but it doesn't do anything with standard arduino analog inputs, and I don't know what the abbreviations of the others mean
Last edited by jpWA on Nov 27th, 2013, 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
FJM

Re: Help with H-bridge!

Post by FJM »

If you go to the arduino forums (forum.arduino.cc) and search for IBT-2, one of the threads is marked [Solved] and may help you. However, I looked at the code and it doesn't seem correct. The poster says it works but I don't understand the logic.

A PWM normally should be an analog value, not a LOW. The code may work by fluke and the user may not understand how the pins should really be used. I suspect you should analogWrite(0) to one pin and a AnalogWrite a value to the other (for the speed). To reverse the direction, you reverse the values written. Higher values would give higher voltage and thus higher speeds. Just a (somewhat educated) guess...

Not sure why there are two enable lines.

The IS lines may be current (I) sense lines to measure the current draw. Test with a multimeter before connecting to an analog input pin. Hopefully they are logic level voltages.

BTW, I can't see your test setup image.

Fred
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

Thanks! that person on the forum had exactly the same problem
Enable, that could be useful :D
Sunktwice

Post by Sunktwice »

At 2A (Cont) Rating on std h-bridge units on ebay though - i'd assume you'll be using a set of x-over relays to take the load for your motors ?
jpWA

Post by jpWA »

I'm pretty sure that that contact rating is for the input pins, not the motor/battery connections
Colmomalley811

Post by Colmomalley811 »

Hey you may want to look here
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148482.0
they have it set up and running
have the same myself still trying to get my heads around it
Colmomalley811

Post by Colmomalley811 »

Actually this link provides better information for anyone playing with these drivers
http://www.hessmer.org/blog/2013/12/28/ ... h-arduino/
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Colmomalley811 wrote:Actually this link provides better information for anyone playing with these drivers
http://www.hessmer.org/blog/2013/12/28/ ... h-arduino/
Great link Colm, thanks.

Did you have any joy with that code I sent?