What is your preferred Arduino IDE?

Anything to do with programing the Arduino Platform.
FJM

What is your preferred Arduino IDE?

Post by FJM »

I've been using the typical Arduino Integrated Development Environment (IDE) but have found it a little limited and clumsy (or at least non-intuitive) when dealing with sketches that are more than one file.

I've tried MariaMole which was OK, but I didn't really stick with it. I recently also tried Atmel Studio 6 and liked the environment as it is based on the MS Developer Studio environment. But after adding all my files to my project and getting it all to build, I have not been able to even upload my program to the Arduino. The IDE looks promising, but I haven't made any headway in it over the last week. If anyone's used AS6 and can help me out, please let me know.

What is your preferred IDE?

Fred
a_shorething

Re: What is your preferred Arduino IDE?

Post by a_shorething »

Honestly I didn't know there was anything BUT the IDE that comes with it.

Interesting though. I may check it out. Do you have a link?
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi Fred.

Being totally new to C programming, for the moment I am using the Arduino "IDE". Downloaded AS6 and it looked way too overkill (and overwhelming) for me and present requirements. MariaMole too i looked at and that may end up being the happy middle ground. Didn't see whether or not there was a way to make the editor window "taller".

Ross
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

I'm with Shore on this, there are other Arduino IDEs ?

If I was to wager a guess as to why AS6 isn't uploading and this is just a guess because I haven't used Atmel software in ages. I would wager that their software is probably setup by default to program the chip directly through a hardware programmer like the STK500. I have seen some tutorials out there that cover how to get it to write to an Arduino but I have absolutely no experience with that combo.

Personally I tend to use Notepad++ to work on things and pop things over into the Arduino IDE when I'm ready to catch the last few syntax errors and upload. Tho I'm sure there are much more effective ways of getting things done lol
FJM

Post by FJM »

I've used the official IDE quite a bit and it's find for smaller projects. However, when you want to start splitting your code into additional files, it becomes non-intuitive (meaning that I don't have the patience to figure it out by trial and error).

The MariaMole IDE can be found here:

http://dalpix.com/mariamole

It allows you to have multiple sketches (each with multiple files) open at once (useful if you are using Arduino on the surface and on the ROV). I don't really recall why I didn't stick with it.

The Atmel Studio 6 IDE can be found here:

http://www.atmel.ca/microsite/atmel_studio6/

While not specific to Arduino, it can be configured to work with it. The issue that I am having is that the compiler/linker should build a .hex file that can be uploaded to the Arduino. However, when I try to upload it, the uploading program (avrdude) can not find the file. The compiler/linker does not seem to create the file and I can't figure out why. AS6 is supposed to be better and appears to offer a simulator and debugger, but I can't even get that far.

...Just did a search and found a list of tools on the Arduino website. Looks like there's other tools I should look into.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DevelopmentTools

I'll look again for any help with AS6. Failing that, I'll switch and give MariaMole another try. It's been a few months since I last used it, so it may have been improved as well.

Fred