MakiBox 3D printer...

Discussion of Tools and Techniques
perfo

Re: MakiBox 3D printer...

Post by perfo »

linear bearings turned up and reduce the stiction of the axis to nothing as in i can't feel any. So the back lash at the moment is pretty good.
My PID controller has just turned up so I'll need to make a new head holder thing to incorporate my new bearings and a new industrial grade thermo couple rather than the look at it the wrong way and it'll break type they send you.
I think I can now say without a shadow of a doubt if any one asks me should they spend £200 and get a Makibox I would tell them to stay well away from them.... just about everything on it needs re design to get it to work.. I'll learn all i can with this then use what bits I can to build my own one.
I'd need to do a bit of research in to what is the best bed material to use to get adhesion. I know some folk use glass and thus I was wondering if a glass door from an old oven would be a good un. I'd like to get away from variables like tape/spray and slurrry.
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

The Makibox was one of the printers I considered late last year when they were 'fire selling' them. But eventually bought a DaVinci 3d printer. This has a whole new set of problems!

I changed the heated bed glass which on the original was just a window pane cut to size to a borosilicate piece and use UHU glue on it to get parts to adhere, that seems to work quite well. Though occasionally with ABS a corner lifts and distorts the print, I haven't yet tried PLA. For ROV work I am not sure that PLA is suitable as it is bio degradable and I wouldn't want one of my parts to gradually dissolve away in the sea :lol:
perfo

Post by perfo »

Or eaten by something
olegodo

Post by olegodo »

I also use heated bed with glass. Then Pritt glue stick. Works really good for me. Abs and pla.
perfo

Post by perfo »

My bed is aluminium, why is glass thought of as a lot better? I know some folk put glass on top of their aluminium bed. I guess you have to adjust the temperature of the bed to ensure the top of the glass is hot enough....