harrison lathe

Discussion of Tools and Techniques
hazzyb

harrison lathe

Post by hazzyb »

Hi

looking for info about my Harrison 12"swing l6 lathe,

i am looking into thread cutting on it but unless i'm missing something there's no reverse on the chuck to drive the feed work back to the start to do a second cut, you can reverse the lead screw but will that not then put it out of sink with the chuck as it will not be reversing?

i need to re wire the motor as when i got it the motor is wired straight into the plug!! I've been looking into putting a speed controller on the motor to make it easier for thread cutting and could reverse the motor to solve the prob but dose any one know if it will damage the gear box on the lathe?

Ben
rossrov

Re: harrison lathe

Post by rossrov »

Gidday Ben. Good to see some lathe action happening :D . I have cut short threads with the motor being swithed OFF and with the motor drive belt slackened, just turning the chuck by hand. Probably shown this technique at school in machine shop class. Safer than risk running the toolpost into the chuck! Not familiar with your lathe but would tend not to think any damage would be done to the gears by turning the chuck backwards.

When i got my old Chinese lathe a new motor came with it but had not been not fitted. I was fortunate to have an electrician mate who knew how to wire the motor to the forward-off-reverse switch that was standard on the lathe. Involved the starting capacitor and swapping start windings or something. Sorry do not know any more about it - been working fine for years.

Found this if it helps you track down further info:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harrison-Operat ... 0567446367
hazzyb

Re: harrison lathe

Post by hazzyb »

Hi,

Thanks for the info, have a manual on it's way now!!

nearly done me light's for my rov now made a right mess off taping it for the bolts so the sooner I can cut threads the better!!
didn't think about just winding it back by hand
as for the electrical side off things I know a few electricians as i work in a saw mill so that bit's no problem also good for getting old air ram's for making housings!!