GoPro Recovered with Homebuilt ROV

Videos of your dives.
sosijdog

GoPro Recovered with Homebuilt ROV

Post by sosijdog »

Hello Guys,

Here is the video of my GoPro recovery and ROV project.

In July 2013 I lost my brand new GoPro camera whilst out windsurfing! The day after I had divers down to search but they could not locate it due to poor visibility.
I desperately wanted my camera back so I decided to build my own ROV. Over the next 2.5 months I worked on the "Sea Rover - Pro Finder" project. Following successful sea trials I launched the Sea Rover to find my GoPro. 4 days of searching I managed to locate and retrieve my GP. :D

This video shows the whole story from losing it, building the ROV and retrieving the GoPro. 8-)

(Unfortunately, I only discovered this site half way through the build. Had I found it sooner I could have avoided the glitchy camera footage! I used the same battery power source for the camera as the motors. The start up surge to the motors caused the power to momenteraly cut from the camera and recorder causing the glitches. Apart from that it was a success....)

I hope you Enjoy.

Feel free to comment.
Cheers,
Stevo.

a_shorething

Re: GoPro Recovered with Homebuilt ROV

Post by a_shorething »

Wow.

That was epic!

Very cool story and great work. I love the fact that you recovered the video including the crash.

Very cool!
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

Thanks for sharing your story. I liked your quick build of your ROV and how useful it was in recovering your GoPro. You had a lot of patience in searching for the GoPro, such a small item in a large area.
What next?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

HAHAHA! I've only made it a minute or so into the video... had to pause and comment! Laughing out loud at probably the most appropriate song choice ever! Kudos for that! Now... I am going to go watch the rest of the video!

EDIT:
Finished video!
Very cool! Well done!
sosijdog

Post by sosijdog »

Haha, yeh I'm glad you noticed, not many do. Probably my favourite foo fighters song but the lyrics were spot on for my video - "There goes my HERO, watch him as he goes". :D

But thanks very much for your comments and views guys.
I had an absolute blast building the ROV and hope this video, if nothing else, inspires others in their projects.

The amount of people who either said to me "It wont work, and even if it does you wont find it" or "Waste of money - why not just go and buy a new GoPro!?" was frustrating.
The sense of achievement (and not to mention fun) I got from this project when it actually worked and I got my GoPro back was unbelieveable! I dont think I have ever felt as proud as that with anything I have done myself before!
You cannot buy any of that from a shop... Plus I made the local Rag with my efforts. I personally think that "Man finds missing camera with homebuilt ROV" sounds a hell of alot better than "Man walks into shop and buys something" :lol:

Thanks again guys.
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Down right awesome :D

Never underestimate the value of the drive for achievement or possibly mans unyielding contempt for Poseidon stealing our junk lol.
sthone

Post by sthone »

KR2_Diving wrote:Laughing out loud at probably the most appropriate song choice ever! Kudos for that!
KR2 beat me too it but I was going to say the same thing.... awesome video so well done with the music. Glad you got your camera back and it must be so satisfying to shut up all the naysayers. I hate people like that, never let what others can't do interfere with what you can do.

-Steve :sting:

P.S. - Welcome to the forum I've been looking forward to this post since you emailed me about it. it was worth the wait. :D