New comer

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Hank

New comer

Post by Hank »

Hello All, My name is Hank and I live in South East BC Canada, am starting an ROV project but with a twist. My ROV will ride on my submarine's, I have two. The deep diver sub is rated for 3,000 feet, so the ROV will need to have the same rating. I built the subs, so I am very familiar with how it all works and I am very well equipped with metal working. I make my own ports and penetrators and do all my own machining. I have limited experience with ROV's and could use guidance with low cost thrusters. I am building a full electric manipulator for the subs right now and will put a small gripper on the ROV for the purpose of cutting lines that the sub may get tangled in. I like advice! no point in reinventing things that work.
Thank you
Hank
aDub

Re: New comer

Post by aDub »

WOW!
I assume that they are electric subs? What thickness hull do you have for 3000', is it double skinned? Does it have a separate capsule for the crew or is it a one-piece craft? Sorry about all the questions!

How do you manage buoyancy?
For my uROV, to conserve thruster power, I was thinking that rather than pumping out air/allowing water in, I would pump water into a bladder using a peristaltic pump, compressing the air in the tank (A bladder would reduce 'slop' and add to the pressure of the compressed air). My thoughts being that it's easier to pump a liquid; the compressed air above the bladder would help in emptying when I wanted positive buoyancy and I wouldn't need a compressor/air reservoir. A peristaltic pump will allow controlled metering of the water.

Some maths to do yet, but does that sound sensible?

I've attached a simple sketch. It's shown as a clear tube, inside is a bladder (blue ) and below a connector for the pump.

PS Admin, if this is in an inappropriate location, please move
Ian MacKenzie

Re: New comer

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

I'm in Vancouver. Let me know if you ever bring your subs and ROV out this way. I'd love to see them. Can you post some pics of the subs.