Flying Submersible ROV

Spot for your general beginner questions.
pamoreno

Flying Submersible ROV

Post by pamoreno »

First off, I've posted this in the Rasp Pi section but I have questions regarding matters other than just design. I am currently designing an ROV for a professor to be used in canal inspection. For this ROV, there are some strict constraints: max dimensions 12x12x15 cm max volume, less than 2 kg dry weight, and symmetric thruster configuration that must allow for surge, yaw, and sway motions to traverse the canal, must be able to withstand max depths of 3 meters.

The ROV is actually not intended to be an ROV; rather, it will ultimately become an autonomously driven vehicle to be paired with a drone that will transport the inspection bot to and from different canals. The bot, for my design, simply needs to be maneuverable for mechanics testing. For that reason, I can have a tether for communication on the bot. Really I am only concerned with functionality, so I am impartial to what device I used for driving the bot because the final design will be autonomous and will not require a controller(easier is better).

1. My control question is, is this feasible to control a small ROV with 4 brushless thrusters two pumps, a 3s 1000-2000 mAh lipo battery and a camera all with a single pi?

2. I have my motors and escs listed below but the main question is if a single pi can complete these tasks (with the help of small chips as necessary). If so are there any links to detailed projects that I can follow to control my sub design? I have experience driving things with arduino though I have written some basic scripts in python for my RPi3 but this amounts to many less hours experience in RPi3 than arduino still. Because I have more experience with arduino, I am very open to suggestions on possible arduino solutions as well.

3. My motor specs questions regards this combo. Does this work? I know the kV is high for an ROV (1080) but the light weight and low power is attractive. Not enough info on efficiency but then again only a few motors provide that.

Motor:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/a20-50s-108 ... tore=en_us
ESC:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/afro-esc-12 ... tore=en_us
Battery(11.1 V system is ideal, mAh subject to change):
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-100 ... tore=en_us

Thanks for any help! <><
Attachments
Image 1. Primary design sketch.
Image 1. Primary design sketch.
bot_layout.jpg (202.82 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
Image 2. Planned geometry/horizontal thruster layout.
Image 2. Planned geometry/horizontal thruster layout.
odinunderwater_h.jpg (501.54 KiB) Viewed 4766 times
pamoreno

Re: Flying Submersible ROV

Post by pamoreno »

Update: have recently progressed in the mock up of my sub and purchased the motors and escs listed. My next worry is designing a good ballast system. Im thinking of using a small inner tube of some sort for an air pump to move air in and out of the main hull to a donut-like ballast.Any advice would be appreciated! thanks. <>< <>< <><
Attachments
new_odin.jpg
new_odin.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 4626 times