Feedback for this ROV design ?

Spot for your general beginner questions.
vik

Feedback for this ROV design ?

Post by vik »

I have made a design of a ROV, and I wanted to ask the forum for feedbacks on the design. I want to know if its a good design, and if its actually build, will it perform well and efficency, all tue aspects that go towards a good ROV. Please tell me what I need to fix in the design to make the ROV better, and is this design even good at all ? I am a beginner at ROV's .

The design is shown below in the picture. I made the design in the 3D program , called Blender.

There is 4 thrusters on the top for up and down movement, and 4 thrusters on the back for forward and backwards movements.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
ROVER3D

Re: Feedback for this ROV design ?

Post by ROVER3D »

Hi,

your thrusters are only for one-direction thrust because the water flows out sideways. You have to build thruster which let the water flow through for thrust in both directions.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Also this rov will work very well in the forward direction only.

Consider vectored thrust or add a lateral thruster.
vik

Post by vik »

Bindo wrote:Also this rov will work very well in the forward direction only.

Consider vectored thrust or add a lateral thruster.
Ok, so am I understanding correctly, this ROV will not be able to turn , and it will only be able to go up , down and forward and backwards. I was thinking if I run only the two thrusters on one side on the back of the ROV, the ROV will spin that direction. So if I only run the left two thrusters on the back, then the ROV will start spinning left, and if its spins for 90 degrees, then I can run all the 4 thrusters on the back to propell it forward, after it has turned. Is my understanding correct ?
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi Vic. A simple 3-thruster ROV with better thruster design will have more maneuverability that what you have drawn. If you are going to go to the effort of having 8 thrusters, wiring and ESCs then you could design and make a much more maneuverable ROV. Actually, 8 thrusters is too many even for that unless there is some very specific need.