At the beginning

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Dippy

At the beginning

Post by Dippy »

Hi every one.

I'm just at the beginning of my ROV adventure. And as such would like to know a few things

1. Brushless out runner motors, how deep can they go.
And
2. What do I need to learn about the science of ROVing if that's even a thing. Like pressure all things like that that.

I'm an network engineer by trade so the mechanical side is a little difference.

I've not got a design for my ROV yet is I want to understand what componat parts do and how they cope with pressure. I think the ROV will just sort of take shape (let's hope). I have a few ideas for the camera syste. Has any one thought of using dual cameras to do a 3D real time feed, using go pro or similar? The brains of my ROV will be arduino and raspberry pie based which is fairly simple it's just the depth thing I have no clue about.
Bindo

Re: At the beginning

Post by Bindo »

Hi and welcome.

Brushless outrunners can operate at much deeper depths than hobbyists rov'ers are likely to ever go.

Hull penetrators for your conductors are a critical element, as is the control system, proportionally controlled is better, but more difficult to implement.

Look at svseeker on YouTube, his videos on penetrators are very good
Dippy

Post by Dippy »

Thanks Bindo,

The SVSeeker YouTube videos are really good. Spent ages last night watching them.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

As for pressure, what kind of depth are you aiming for? That kinda dictates what standards you need to build to.

Consider compensated enclosures too, they save a lot of hassle in the long run
Dippy

Post by Dippy »

I was thinking about sticking to lakes a round the UK at first, the deepest is Scotland Loch Morar which is about 310 meters deep. So I recon a rig to go to 350 meters would pretty much handle anything in the UK.

Can you recommend any books or websites to get the science nailed first
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Ah ok, you are in the UK!

you should maybe pop a post up in the introductions section too ;) 8-)

at 300m you are looking at about 430psi of pressure trying to fire water into your hull, :o

the SVseeker approach to hull penetrations is the route to go, i dunno what you are planning on making your hull out of, but itll need to be flipping strong!

If you are serious about hitting that depth, look at the links section of the main website, most of them are still active, and are a treasure trove of information.

as for books, there isn't anything you can't google, and you may have to think outside of the box, but you'll get there!

May i suggest that you start with a small project first, with just a few thrusters, so you get to grips with flying, buoyancy, tethers, before you take the plunge on the main project, it'll save you time and money in the long run!

If you watch this playlist, it'll kinda show you what i mean, i started out tiny, built something a little bigger, there will be more to add to this video as i'm designing the mk2 as we speak

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 92xYinEX9I