What setup will suite my needs?

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Jaman42

What setup will suite my needs?

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi guys,
I had an initial thought of how to set it up but then I realized there are so many different ways so I think I would need some advice. First I will list the features I plan on having and then I can give you an idea on how I thought about doing it.

My goal is to reach 100m (330 feet) or close to it, I am planning on having 2 cameras with 3 axis control system (I might scrap that idea and just use a tilt though). I want to have two temperature sensors, one in the main housing and one outside, I would also like to have a depth sensor and a leakage warning system in the main housing. I need some lights off course and I am going to use 5 thrusters. I plan on controlling it with a joystick.

I want to have the ability to add a robotic arm later on, I'm not planning on doing this at the start but could be good to bear in mind.

I was thinking of using a top side power source, a 230V petrol generator to enable me to use thinner wires and then convert the voltage at the ROV. I am looking at the bluerobotics T100 thrusters, 11.5 amps and 130 watts. For communication I was thinking of using a ethernet cable to send the commands to a Arduino, Beaglebone or similair unit. What microcontroller would be the best to use for the input and outputs I need? Are there any issues in streaming live HD thrue the device? I mean if I for example use two USB cameras, is it a better solution to use network cameras? Or use 2-wire ethernet for control and separate video cables to the cameras?

Would you do it any other way and in that case why? I know 100 metres isn't bad but the ethernet is at its limit so perhaps there are better solutions to enable future goals without having to reconfigure to much?

Really appreciate any input you might have so I can make further plans. Thanks for reading!
rossrov

Re: What setup will suite my needs?

Post by rossrov »

The forum's search tool will help you. Try:

electrocution
110 volts
mains power
rs485
video baluns
a to d converter
webcam
rasberry pi
i.p. camera

There are a few recent posts regarding the control system things you are asking about. No doubt there are many many more going back months and years.

Depends where your strengths are. If you are more programmer then the Pi, or Arduino with Ethernet shield can give you the best tether options. Basically you will need webcam or IP cam with the Pi and IP cam with the Arduino

If you do not want to use a PC to control and monitor, then cat5 cable, 2 Arduinos, RS485, and composite video cameras with video baluns and 12 volt monitor/TV set will be worth checking out.

Hope that helps :)
Jaman42

Re: What setup will suite my needs?

Post by Jaman42 »

Excellent answer, thank you very much!

I searched the forum and read up on what you posted and pretty much decided to go with rs485, as I understand I need 2 pair of twisted cables for that and 1 pair of twisted cables for video baluns, since I have two cameras one cat5 cable will be enough for everything I want to do. I am however interested in having a hydrophone as well, any ideas on how that could be done?

I need to do some calculations on what kind of battery power I would need if I went that way instead of a topside power source. Reading true the forum and with the help of Google made me hesitate a bit about the 230V idea. Seems more convenient to use a topside power source, fule it up and go for as long as you want kind of deal, but I see the dangers with it as well. I'm no electrician so perhaps someone with much more knowledge want to chip in? Good quality well isolated cable would seems to me as a requirement for a build with that kind of setup. However I'm thinking it might be worth it in the end if planned well.

If one where to use a 230V topside power supply, how would you do it in a safe manner?