Motor question.

Spot for your general beginner questions.
ssrc30

Motor question.

Post by ssrc30 »

I've been reading about motor mounts and was surprised to see that some builders expose their electric motors to the open water. How is this possible without shorting out the electrical components of the motors? Also, what about oil sealing motors? Is that terribly difficult to do?
TwoBeaner

Re: Motor question.

Post by TwoBeaner »

The wire in motor windings are coated so the conductive parts don't touch each other. In a brushless motor there really is no exposed conductive material to get shorted out with water. That being said salt water being very corrosive can still easily were away the coating and other components of any type of motor, so it is important when running a motor open in salt water to clean/rinse well after every use. There are several other reasons to not use a brushless motor in open water but in all reality if you keep then rinsed you should be fine for a good lone time.

I know little about oil filled systems so I'll let someone else field that one. <><
ssrc30

Post by ssrc30 »

My plans only involve fresh water so I should be ok then? If I just leave the motors exposed, what kind of depths should I be able to make before they start failing? Eventually I'd like to be able to dive to about 200 feet or so (enter the noobish dreams of grandeur lol).
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Welcome Steve.

Here is an earlier thread that should help:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1124 5-minute epoxy is what I would use now instead of the polyurethane mentioned in the thread.

200' should be no problem with open or oil

Ross
ssrc30

Post by ssrc30 »

That thread was very helpful. Thank you.