How to get a Yellow submarine ?

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Magic1

How to get a Yellow submarine ?

Post by Magic1 »

Most of my Sea Fox rep is PVC-u, the ballast tubes and clips are white ABS. I had thought to sand all components before reassembling to try and get a key for the yellow paint. Does anyone have any ideas on the subject ?
Billrose

Re: How to get a Yellow submarine ?

Post by Billrose »

Very light sanding over all the plastic surface and then primer paint, then top 'Yellow' coat to get the effect you want.

<>< Why stop at yellow, go pink! Orange! Strangely at lot of Rov's are matt black! (Non-reflective surface in the cameras 'eye')

Its a bit of work doing all that and it should look fab! When its all painted.
But remember it will no go faster, or deeper. But it will look kinda... like a 'Yellow' plastic tube frame.... :sting:

But good luck on your dives and may your new 'Yellow' friend have fun together.

Regards.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi Magic1. Just went out and looked in my collection of PVC scraps and found a machined and painted piece of PVC. I'm pretty sure I had painted this with a 2-pack epoxy gloss white topcoat, no primer. The part has been kicking around for years and paint has no signs of chipping or flaking.

Problem with 2-pack epoxies is that they are often not available in small tins in the colour you want. A quick google showed up yellow road line marking paint but that seemed only available in 4 litre kits.

A more convenient and readily available solution would be the automotive plastic part (bumpers etc) primer followed by suitable gloss topcoat touch-up in aerosol cans. Not as tough as epoxy though. Have not used this primer, but prior to any painting I would be wiping down part with acetone then sanding with say 400 grit or finer
TigerShark

Post by TigerShark »

Try plastic fusion paint, you won't need any primer and it chemically bonds to the plastic. There are several brands carrying it and yes they have yellow which I used on my second ROV.
sthone

Post by sthone »

I tried that fusion paint (think it's made by Kylon) and was not happy with it at all. It really didn't cover to well and is almost translucent, any writing on the PVC showed right through for me. I then tried to repaint it with normal primer and paint and was left with a nice crackle finish. :x I'd stick with a normal Primer and paint right from the start.

-Steve :sting:
Billrose

Post by Billrose »

Well as so many people want to have a 'Yellow' submarine.

Perhaps we should lobby the manufactures and get them to make 'Yellow' pvc pipe. ( & Pink, Orange, Tartan, etc...)

But nothing beats, sanding, priming and then painting.

So what other colours do people paint and decorate their Rov?

Regards