Cad programs?

Spot for your general beginner questions.
puzzler300

Re: Cad programs?

Post by puzzler300 »

I realize old, but I use Autodesk Inventor Exclusively, I've played with Solidworks a bit but I like the feel of Inventor better. If ever you have any questions about it feel free to PM me.

The thing I really like about inventor is how easy it is to assemble things. I know you can do it in Solidworks, but I've never used it.
Attachments
ROV assembly
ROV assembly
painted frame.png (252.63 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

I am also doing all my drawings in Inventor, the thing I like the most with Inventor is that it's really helpful in the design process, easy to make quick changes to parts, really easy to assemble them and the way you work with 3d in a more direct approach.
sthone

Post by sthone »

There's a new CAD out called Onshape is very similar to Solidworks in the way that it works. It's missing some key features (that say Solidworks has) but I guess they are working on adding new stuff. It's pretty cool in the fact that's it's browser based and they are offering free beta invites right now so for the average maker it would be a very useful thing to use assuming they keep the free version available. You are limited to five active documents with the free account but overall I think it has a lot of potential.

I've been playing around with it the last few days and this is what I was able to do so far. Keep in mind I have a little bit of prior CAD experience, (although it's all self taught) I'm sure someone who really knows CAD can do a lot more with it.
Onshape1.jpg
Onshape1.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Onshape2.jpg
Onshape2.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
-Steve :sting: