Magnetic couplings= next step to deeper dives for DIY ROVs?

Anything to do with Propulsion.
a_shorething

Re: Magnetic couplings= next step to deeper dives for DIY RO

Post by a_shorething »

Thanks.

I actually just got a set of the neodynium magnets and they are AWESOME!

I don't think I'll need all that many at all for my design.

Yesterday I was able to get a good print on something I'd been wrestling with for a while so I'm on to the next test of version 2.0 and post my results. If this works I think I can build a sealed mag-thruster complete for under $40!
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

I'm a high school student making magnetic couplers in a CAD class in school, and I can then 3D print them, which in all honesty still blows my mind. I'm creating something very similiar to Bigbadbob, except my magnets are bigger, with 6.5 pounds of force each, with up to 8 on each motor. I am also using ball bearings between outer ring of magnets, and what my motor is housed in (orange pill bottles, which will be sealed up). I also have a much more aggressive propeller. I hopefully can provide updates for you all when my parts are printed(there's other people in my class who have to print before me, and there objects are much larger)!

BTW I got my magnets at this link, extremely cheap:

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info ... ts_id=1009

They have an amazing amount of rare earth magnets, every size, shape, and grade you could need.
Attachments
Full shot of part 3. The cylinder with the notches at the top is where the propeller is attached to.
Full shot of part 3. The cylinder with the notches at the top is where the propeller is attached to.
Part3 View 5.png (192.21 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Part 3, which is what my propeller will be attached to, driven by the internal magnets. This is a split view, showing the internal raceway for the bearing balls and the holes for the magnets.
Part 3, which is what my propeller will be attached to, driven by the internal magnets. This is a split view, showing the internal raceway for the bearing balls and the holes for the magnets.
Part3 View 4.png (188.52 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Part 2, which will be stationary on the outside of the housing. This is the raceway for the ball bearing
Part 2, which will be stationary on the outside of the housing. This is the raceway for the ball bearing
Part2 View 1.png (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Part 1, directly spun by motor in housing. The tag accidentally covers the hole in the middle where the motor shaft goes.
Part 1, directly spun by motor in housing. The tag accidentally covers the hole in the middle where the motor shaft goes.
Part1 View 1.png (120.02 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Very cool. I'm actually printing what I think will be the last version of mine.

You may find that with those super-magnets, you don't need as many as you thought and you can make the whole thing lighter by leaving a few of the slots empty. I was amazed at how strong they are for the size and weight.

Keep us posted on your design. I will post video this weekend too.

and FWIW- the whole 3D printer thing still blows my mind too. BEST TOY EVER. I love using mine and doing iterations on a design is like playing around with a toy. Got an idea? Design, print, test, all in a few hours. I get an idea in the shower in the morning and by night I have the part in my hand. That's freakin' awesome.