BILGE BLOWER THRUSTERS

Anything to do with Propulsion.
John

Re: BILGE BLOWER THRUSTERS

Post by John »

bigbellydude wrote:Hi All,

I am participating in the MATE ROV contest in California, and my team is looking for bilge pump motors to use. We are looking for 3 minimum, but we have money constraints. Are there any "good" pumps out there to be had for under $15 apiece?
Hi All,
Have you tried Harbor Tools and Freight? I purchased My Bilge Pumps from them for around $16.00 for 1000gph pumps. John
John

Post by John »

Hi All,

I am new at this forum, and it looks like I posted an answer in a wrong place. I think I have figured it out now. I just wanted to say that Bilge Pumps can be purchased at Harbor tool and Freight for a little over $16.00 for a 1000gmh pump, and are very well made. John
adkandy

Post by adkandy »

I think that the thruster blower idea is great. Saves on mounting and prop assembly. Not very expensive either. Just a couple of questions. Above talk has been limited to the 3" models. Any use/desire for the 4" (isn't bigger better?). I was thinking about using the 3" for side to side and up/down thrusters, but was thinking about the 4" for forward thrusters. Second question is that my bilge pumps were hooked up so that of of the forward thrusters was hooked up in reverse with a counter clock wise prop. Can I just take the blower and mount it backwards to create the same benefits? Maybe with a 4" model, I'd only need one forward thruster? The 4" are only a few $ more than the 3".

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bilge+ ... m270.l1313

Thanks
Sky

Post by Sky »

Hello John
Is this the 1000gph bilge pump you purchased?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-gph-b ... 66095.html
Its the only 1000gph i could find but its shape seems different from the rule ones so wasnt sure if this is the one you meant
Thanks
John

Post by John »

Yes I purchased the 1000 gph pumps from Harbor Tool and Freight. I dismanteled them and machined the end plates that have the seal in it, and mounted them inside 2" PVC fittings and O-Rings. I don't have a way right now to send photos. I also went one step further and made magnetic drives to be certain I would not get water intrusion in the motors. ---John---
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

Wow! John, this sounds great. Surely you know someone who could help out with some pictures. How do you make magnetic drives?
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Adkandy,
If you are planning on using just one forward thruster then how are you going to control turning? Just asking.
adkandy

Post by adkandy »

No turns, just straight forward! (Just kidding) I've gone with 750GPM for each of the 4 pumps. Thanks.