Running wiring inside heat shrink tubing

Anything to do with Propulsion.
Lost Bob

Running wiring inside heat shrink tubing

Post by Lost Bob »

My frame is going to be aluminum tubing and I want to run the wiring, from the thrusters to the hull, inside the tubing to tidy things up. Can I put each set of wires ( 3 ) , from each thruster, inside a separate length of heat shrink tubing ? Is there going to be a problem with the positive, negative and signal wires being that close together ?
bigbadbob

Re: Running wiring inside heat shrink tubing

Post by bigbadbob »

Hi Bob.
What type of motor are you using for the thrusters?

I'm not sure what you mean by signal wire.
Unless the ESC (speed controller) is built into the motor you should have either-
Brushed motor: positive and negative.
Brushless motor: three phase wires.

For either of the above I see no problem running them close together. I do something similar with my brushed motors except I use pneumatic pipe instead of heatshrink.

If your ESC is built in then you could get pulses from the positive and negative wires interfering with the signal wire but I've never come across motors like that. Probably for that reason.
Hope that helps.
Bob.
Lost Bob

Post by Lost Bob »

I am using brushless motors. I just call the third wire the signal wire so I don't confuse it with the other two.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

ok... the three wires for a brushless motor are basically the same, there's no positive/negative/signal... don't be confused by the wire colours. :-)
the three wires are- phase 1, phase 2 and phase 3.
so essentially, the answer to your question is YES, you can run them close together in heatshrink tubing no problem. :-)
Lost Bob

Post by Lost Bob »

Thanks