Difference between right and left hand propellers ?

Anything to do with Propulsion.
vik

Difference between right and left hand propellers ?

Post by vik »

Hello, is there any major difference between left hand propellers and right hand propellers, and how can this affect the ROV ? Is it also correct, that having a propeller and rotating it one direction will make the ROV rise up,and rotating it the other direction, will make the ROV go down. And this applies if the thruster is for upward аnd downward motion. Doеs this have anyтhing to do with right or left hand propellers ?
kenl

Re: Difference between right and left hand propellers ?

Post by kenl »

Good question!

Especially with regards to the up and down influence, I've read with boats it affects the left and right, but with smaller boats it is so subtle that it is not a major factor, I don't know much about ships and larger boats.

I guess if you can balance things out then why not but at the end of the day the drag from your tether will be more of an influence than most other things
vik

Re: Difference between right and left hand propellers ?

Post by vik »

Thank You for the reply. The plan for my ROV is 50cm long, by 35cm wide and 35cm high. These are rough estimates as of now. Therefore the orientation of the propellers will not make a difference, due to the size of the vehicle ? So I can go with either left or right hand propellers ? Thanks for the reply once again, it clarified a lot of things to me.
Attachments
This is an image that I found on :  http://www.iboats.com/basics/propeller_basics.html   which accurately explains the relation ship between left hand propellers and right hand propellers.
This is an image that I found on : http://www.iboats.com/basics/propeller_basics.html which accurately explains the relation ship between left hand propellers and right hand propellers.
Screenshot_2015-10-18-09-20-08(1).png (299.77 KiB) Viewed 3709 times