BlueRobotics T100 Thruster (First Look and Testing)

Anything to do with Propulsion.
Jaman42

Re: BlueRobotics T100 Thruster (First Look and Testing)

Post by Jaman42 »

I'm thinking of buying some t100 thrusters for my build. What's the advantages and disadvantages (if any) of having the integrated blue esc compared to a regular one? I came to think of heat, wonder how easy it would be to replace a blue esc if it breaks down? Any other thoughts?
SSN626B

Post by SSN626B »

@Jaman42,
I have 6 of the T100 Thruster with the built-in ESCs.
If you go the built-in ESC route you now have two cables to deal with for each Thruster instead of one cable with the standard T100 Thruster.
I have two 4 inch diameter BR WTCs on my ROV chassis. One WTC is for the batteries and one is for the Navigation Controller.
The Battery WTC has a 10 hole End Cap for the 6 ESC power cables and other assorted connections.
The Navigation Controller WTC has a 10 hole End Cap for the 6 ESC signal control cables and other assorted connections.
Using the T100 Thruster with the built-in ESCs means you have twice as many cables to pot in their respective cable penetrators and the back of the ROV gets to be a rats nest of cables coming into the WTC End Caps.
You will also have to deal with mounting the Power Junction Board in the Battery WTC and the Signal Junction Board in the Navigation Controller WTC unless you mount them externally.
Due to all of the additional cable connections you will need at least two WTCs for all of the cable penetrators compared to just one WTC for 4 - 6 cable penetrators plus power and Tether cable penetrators with the standard T100 Thruster unless you mount the Power Junction Board and the Signal Junction Board externally.
Mounting the Power Junction Board and the Signal Junction Board externally will involve a lot of careful encapsulation work and make the Power Junction Board and the Signal Junction Board virtually unrepairable if one of the Thrusters with the built-in ESCs fails.
If I had to do it over again, I would go with the standard T100 Thruster and reduce one level of complexity. According to BR ESC heat buildup in the WTC is not an issue.
Regards,
SSN626B/TCIII
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Thank you for your detailed answer! I think I am gonna avoid the built-in ESC since I have room in my WTC for them. I didn't think of the extra cables and that's a fairly strong argument. More hull penetrations would increase the risk of something leaking.