Turnigy TrackStar 18A ESC

Anything to do with Propulsion.
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Turnigy TrackStar 18A ESC

Post by KR2_Diving »

So I have a question for the RC enthusists on here...

I just recently switched my ESC from this one to this one.

The old one seems to be discontinued or on long term back order... and the new one is $4 cheaper, and seems to have more features!

However! The new one seems to beep every 20sec or so when sitting in neutral...

Is this a normal function of ESC?
fluxno

Re: Turnigy TrackStar 18A ESC

Post by fluxno »

i have atleast 2 RC cars that does this, its to make sure that you know the esc has power.(safety)
one is a turnigy esc and the other is a castlecreations/HPI
KR2_Diving

Post by KR2_Diving »

Ahh! Good!
I was hoping it was a "feature" and not a "fault" on my part!

Thanks for the input!
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi KR2

I bought one of these late last year to try out. Wondered about the beep too, then realised it's a safety/indicator to tell the operator the ESC is ready to go. It actually makes the motor windings "sing" unless I'm mistaken. Elegant trick - saves components. Programming the ESC from PWM straight from the micro (or radio, in other circles) worked better than the programming card I bought, though I think I used a combination of both methods. Selecting minimum "punch", as they call it, and other stuff can help reduce unnecessary loads on power supply etc. Scary how cheap and hi-tech this gear is today. Waiting for some more of these to arrive in the mail.

Cheers,

Ross
KR2_Diving

Post by KR2_Diving »

Hey Ross!
They are quite impressive when you think of it!

Thanks for the comments on the ESC settings! I threw together a program on my Arduino which "simulated" full throttle and full brake.

I will throw the code up here in the next day or two! It is quite handy!

I do agree as well that the programming card that is available for these is less the perfect.

Best of luck with your build!
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

KR-2: My Trackstar ESCs arrived and I've wired them up to the test rig. Programmed easy enough via the PC and microcontroller - no card used this time. Having a problem with one of them not starting the motor properly though all 3 ESCs and motors the same type. Other 2 working OK, swapped connections to the micro and same. Not tried swapping ESC and motor combination yet though. Have you got yours going yet, and if so any problems? Anyone else used this particular ESC?

Cheers,

Ross
dna1990

Post by dna1990 »

Unrelated question, but on these ESCs, I assume these are mounted inside a watertight area. Is there an issue with heat buildup?
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi DNA. At present the ESCs are in open air and barely above ambient temp. I put a pic of the test rig in my IP camera post. Good question though, some RC boat ESCs have a water jacket, but these would be run a lot harder than what I plan doing with the ROV. Cars and planes have air flow to help. Water cooling might be a bit of a sales gimmick and unnecessary in many cases. A bigger conventional heat sink would be simpler than extra plumbing? Motors more of a concern with getting rid of heat.
I have another of these ESCs, purchased earlier, that worked well on its own and another of the same motor so will try those next.

Thanks,
Ross
KR2_Diving

Post by KR2_Diving »

Hey Ross,
I have only my first one up and running. Built my test rig, but never actually got to testing yet... Work has me out on the road again for 2 weeks... so end of May I hope to have more updates for you!

DNA,
Of the few tests I have run, with motors in and our of water, I haven't had any issues with heat. If I recall, this particular ESC has an overheat cut off.

My hope is that with the ESC being mounted in a tube surrounded by cool water, the temp will be sort of "self regulating."

My plan B is to attach the ESC to the hull of my water tight container with some heat transfer compound. This was the whole hull acts as a heat sink.
dna1990

Post by dna1990 »

My current plan is to use an Otter box...versus a metal or even thick PVC pipe to house the ESCs. So I don't think I can easily use the box itself to further heat sink them.

But true, ROVs don't run at the long durations like a boat/plan would. I will give it a shot and keep an eye on them. It will be an Arduino mini in there, so easy enough to add a temp sensor inside there.

I ordered the motors and ESCs last night...