Crazy idea.

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
PaulC

Crazy idea.

Post by PaulC »

I know that this is going to sound a little crazy, and off the wall but has anyone thought of making their rov film in 3d?
thegadgetguy

Re: Crazy idea.

Post by thegadgetguy »

That'd be interesting. Do you mean a live video feed in 3D or just record in 3D for later viewing? They sell fairly inexpensive 3D digital video cameras now. A live feed would be a lot harder. You'd have to have two cameras set up at the right angles, which would be the easy part. The hard part would be merging the two feeds together onto one monitor. You'd probably have to have a 3D tv with the shutter glasses, and some way of combining the feeds in real time and then sending it over HDMI to the TV. It'd be cool if it worked, though.
SoakedinVancouver

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

NEC has the most nifty small 3D screen now, I was amazed when I saw a demo about 2 months ago. No idea of the cost or the kind of video feed it takes. But it is "out there".

There is also 3D video glasses but they are costly. Good reviews about them though...
Unorthodox

Post by Unorthodox »

all you need is 2 cameras, like 3" apart and pipe that up the teather for your laptop to combine, it shouldnt be hard at all. then its just a matter of presentation, how do you want to show the stereo image to the operator or audience, stereo video goggles, 3d glasses whatever you like.

You could also use different camera distances. 3" is about how far apart your eyes are, but the farther apart you put the cameras the more cubist the scene can become, imagine looking at the front and side of one object at the same time. Or use fisheye wide angle lenses, if both eyes could see 120 degrees, that would be something. Probably make you sick to your stomach however.
Tsilatipac

Post by Tsilatipac »

GoPro makes a standard mount that you could use for 3D. A lot of RC guys use them to record 1080P HD or 1080P HD 3D. They can also use the video out to send video OTA for FPV view so one could easily send it up a tether. This is a perfect project for somebody with money.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/3d ... gwodNAss8A

Here is a single GoPro being used for FPV Flight. This sent my son on a mission for building his own FPV aircraft. Watch it full screen HD if you have the bandwith.

Enjoy,
Carl
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

WOW NICE VIDEO!! I have never seen a TRICOPTER like that! How much are they?

Alex Stuart
Alaska Rov Systems
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I know that it is a crazy idea, but just think that if you couple it with those i-glass specs, and had the right distance (say 5" apart) navigation would be superb, and if you had HD that would just be gravy. Then on top of all that put a video overlay. Holy cow. Five inches is almost the max distance that I could put the cameras apart for this. I think since I have some background using Adobe premier, and After Effects that it could be done the plus side is maybe if I do do this (successfully now mind you) that I could open up an entire new way for film makers to film underwater. Just get rid of the overlay in post... Think that I am gonna jump right in after seeing that video. This is going to be too cool.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Besides who would of thought of doing 3d on an ROV. The question now is color, or black and white (low light.) I am a 3d animator, and I can think of about 3 million reasons to just jump into this. The current specs of my ROV now will be two cameras + plus the equivalent to 100 watts of light output (LED,) I will be using four converted bilge pump motors (props.) The ROV will have a hydrophone, compass, depth sensor, leak detection, and possibly a grabber. The frame is constructed of aluminum, and polypropylene. The camera, and control board housings are made of aluminum and polycarbonate. Couple the whole thing with a 300' tether with upgrades possible at any point due to the plug and play configuration, and since I am in no real hurry to get this prototype done the first time around I can play with it. I guess I am hoping to be able to build and sell this ROV. If you want to see the current layout of the ROV just go to the work in progress part of this forum. As far as the money part of this project it just takes time. Because of the fact that the ROV is "PLUG and PLAY" working with it will be a breeze if you set it up initially the right way then the rest is just fun. As with all of my "Hobby Projects" I try to think of every option, every angle, every possible configuration. I guess that is what makes it "FUN" for me. At any rate it is like 5:30 in the morning here (insomnia) been awake since about 3:00, and I am thinking that I am finally tired enough that maybe I might be able to get some sleep... too many dang ideas going through this head. :D.
Unorthodox

Post by Unorthodox »

Georgia Tech is supposed to be doing it on their MATE competition sub, I dont know what ever happened there. I still say stereo video with fisheye lenses is the way to go, give yourself an insane viewing angle to play with.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

I just found this on the Oceaneering website:

http://www.oceaneering.com/rovs/rov-tec ... rov-video/

Evidently it's caught on in the professional world.