What would be the coolest job?

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
Dace

What would be the coolest job?

Post by Dace »

Working for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute maybe? They are hiring. I just sent in my application for II class Engineer for mooring and rigging. Being out on the research ships, being that close to the stuff we love and being that close to all the information and technology. I'm beside my self in giddiness! I probably won't get the job but it was fun imagining the adventures and discovery I would find.

Dace
Kale

Re: What would be the coolest job?

Post by Kale »

Hi Dace,

I had the great privilege to accompany the Harbour Branch Oceanic Institutes large research vessel on a trip to the Bahamas some years ago. It was really awesome, they had both ROVs and a Submersible. Got to go down to 1000 m depth in the sub, it was of course a great experience. The engineers on board seemed to have a great time. Hope you get the job. Good luck!

/Kale
kendelrio

Post by kendelrio »

Not to sound like a jerk, but I have the best job! I work with ROVs on a daily basis, have learned to build, operate, troubleshoot and repair everything from the electronics and hydraulics to the mechanical side! I have had the opportunity to help end the Macondo oil spill, cut up several downed platforms, handed tools off to divers, tightened fittings at 3700 feet with a manipulator and a lot more.

It's a great career and I'm blessed to have stumbled my way into it!
Best of luck!
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

CERN are hiring too, if I get that job you can have my job running AUV's out of the west coast of Scotland.
The highlight of my job was running them out of Buzzards bay Dace. :lol:
I finished building one at the end of last year so it'll be good to see it swim.
Had a lot of fun flying work class ROV's in my previous job but the shine goes off after a while when you're working long hours and weekends too.