Paint types

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
CLYON

Paint types

Post by CLYON »

What type of paint is best for painting PVC? Also , and I know this sounds crazy, but is there a best color to paint? I didn't know if color plays a part like visibility, etc. underwater.

Chuck
fryslan76

Re: Paint types

Post by fryslan76 »

The paint helps to make the ROV more visible for other underwater users. So depening on where you are using it this can be helpfull.
dna1990

Post by dna1990 »

I am curious too. We used a spray paint labeled as "for plastic" on another non-ROV project. It flaked off in some places.

When practicing in pools, I have to ensure our hosts we won't foul the water filters with anything, so we have stayed un-painted....but would love to add some color, just curious as to the best type/brand of paint to use?
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

PVC can be painted successfully but you need to prep it properly or you will have failed results.

Clean the PVC pipe with either an ammonia-based cleaner, such as window cleaner or a 50/50 bleach solution to remove any grease, dirt and other surface debris. Scrub the heck out of it with a good stiff brush will help. During the manufacture of PVC pipe the smooth surface often contains waxes as a result of the extruding process and you have to make sure to get that off. I have used acetone but you have to work fast and apply lightly. Now lightly scuff the surface of the PVC pipe, using a fine (200 to 300) grit sandpaper. Wrap the sandpaper in a cylindrical shape around the pipe and move it back and forth. After sanding, the surface of the PVC should be dull and/or matte, and not have any shine or gloss to it. Wash the pipe well with mild soap and water and allow to dry. Next get some latex primer, yes water based latex if you can believe it, and give the pipe a good even coat of primer. Allow it to dry as per manufacturers specifications. Now you can paint with any exterior paint and it will adhere well to the prepped surface. Krylon paint for plastics will work but you still need to sand it and clean properly. If you don't clean and sand all the waxes and contaminates off first it will prevent any paint from working properly and it will flake or peel off.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

I scrubbed mine with alcohol, and personally I sanded off all company markings on the PVC pipe that were raised. I used satin yellow Rustoleum paint and primer spray paint for a few base coats, then I sprayed on a really neon yellow, also by Rustoleum. I noticed the neon yellow paint has this horrible chalky feel to it when it dried, so I'm going to spray it with a clear coat. I did my metal parts in black paint/primer mix after being scrubbed with alcohol, and had no issues with it. I did however have issues with the paint on the PVC bubbling/leaving ugly marks which is either from uneven coats or leftover residue described by Bikerbones.