Ultra Ever Dry

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Ultra Ever Dry

Post by KR2_Diving »

Don't know how I stumbled across this, but I came across this apparently "super awesome" compound that basically waterproofs everything it touches!

Don't suppose anyone has ever worked with this stuff? Might have to get some of this to play with, if they ship to the UK...
scubersteve

Re: Ultra Ever Dry

Post by scubersteve »

wow that is some crazy stuff!
I would like to play with that too.

If you get some be sure to let us know how it works.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

That's pretty neat. What kind of applications did you have in mind?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

thegadgetguy wrote:That's pretty neat. What kind of applications did you have in mind?
I had a few things in mind for this... mainly to do with my electronics. There is a video of this stuff coating a cell phone, and the phone keeps working under water!

One of my ideas would be to coat a play station controller with this stuff, and see if i can get it to work under water, specifically at depth.

Another idea was to use it to coat an arduino... see if i could "waterproof" the brain of my ROV.

A final idea... which is a bit out there... but if i were to coat my whole ROV in the stuff, how would that affect the underwater performance? Drag? Maybe if i put enough on, I could change my ROV to a water spider like surface walking machine! :lol:

Anyway... I am sure there is enough uses for it... it is just the price that is a bit prohibitive. $100 for the smallest cans...
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Obviously kind of late to this whole thing but I did some research on this stuff lately. There is an almost exact version called Never Wet, which was a separate company that paired up with Rustoleum paint. It's amazing what it does, however as of now I still see it as a "developing technology". It has many issues: it's not really clear, it's a milky white, and the application easily rubs/scuffs off making it only temporary. I heard Rustoleum is working on these issues, however it is still being developed/tested and may not be deemed marketable. However if they do release a better version, I think we would all like to have it!
MNDeepROV

Post by MNDeepROV »

A little late to this post too...new here to the forum so just catching up with all the cool info.

I saw the title and thought, "Hmmm, what is this? I'll take a look." It's amazing the little tidbits of info here! Thanks for sharing.

This stuff is SO cool. Although, I'd be interested in knowing a little more about what makes the product up (i.e. toxic or not, safe for us and marine environment, etc.) Hopefully it is!

My thought would be to potentially dip/treat an exposed brushless motor to prevent it from long term water damage. I haven't used brushless yet, but am reading info that they don't really need to be potted, but will break down over time if they are not.
sthone

Post by sthone »

I tried a can of the Never Wet from Rustoleum and while it is fun to play with the results don't last, at least not on fabric. (I tried in on my boat cover and shoes.)

-Steve :sting: