3d printer would solve alot of problems

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
Atle.norway

3d printer would solve alot of problems

Post by Atle.norway »

Hello i have been scavenging for parts allover my hometown.for my rov project.
And i came to think what about bying a 3d printer.for those annoying little parts you just cant get enywere.like propellar adapters wich you can buy in hobby shops online that almost fit.and when you take the chance it just wont fit so you have to get a company wich makes custom parts with cnc machines.and get them to custom make them out of aluminium for alot of money.
Remember the 3d printer makes anything you want in plastic.for an rov its perfect.
Housings for camera,led lights housing .your imagination is the boundry.any thoughs?
nitelife222

Re: 3d printer would solve alot of problems

Post by nitelife222 »

I am looking into buying a 3d printer! So I may be able to do rapid prototyping soon!
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

You're right it would be epic to be able to do this. be warned though, I have a printrbot + and It is not as easy as it seems(http://www.printrbottalk.com/forum/view ... =70&t=2341) And my prints haven't really improved. If you do choose to purchase a 3d printer I would defiantly go with a makerbot (http://www.makerbot.com/) this is definitely the best printer you can get for a reasonable (under $30,000) price. Another option if you don't want to go this route there are multiple online sources where you can buy custom made 3d printed parts. one is called shapeways.

P.S. Also there is a plastic called Shapelock. It comes in pellets for 25 (USD) for 500 grams. Just stick it in the microwave and heat it for about 1-2:30 minutes. It will become clear and mold able. you can paint it, drill it, glue it and cut it. Currently I'm using it to water proof motors. But you can make brackets and all other sorts of handy parts. Although just be careful, It sticks to plastic, awesome if you want to permanently attach something but a pain to get off and correct. I solve this just by putting a piece of wax paper between the plastic and what ever I'm molding it on.
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

Have anyone heard of bucaneer 3d printer on youtube.they sell them for 350 dollars.
Are they any good?
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

I think it is a case of you get what you pay for.

I have been toying with the idea of a 3D printer myself. I have a friend that is making my thruster housings with a 3D printer (pictures coming soon!) and they look awesome! He is using an older 3D printer... one of the first "build-your-own" kind.

From what I can tell $2500 - $3000 is the price you are looking at starting at if you are looking for something that more or less works out of the box. Anything less, and it it looks to be a case of spending just as much time tinkering and calibrating and setting up the printer as you were looking to spend on the ROV or any other hobby...

If you have nothing but time on your hands... then by all means, I am sure there are some great lower cost alternatives out there, however, if you are looking to get a 3D printer to ENHANCE your current hobby and not REPLACE it, then you are looking to probably spend north of $3000 for a ready to go model!

That is just my 2cents!

Ryan
"KR2_Diving"
puzzler300

Post by puzzler300 »

From my experience, I completely agree. The makerbot replicator is exactly what you are describing. It falls on the 2-3000 range but from the prints I've seen they work amazingly.

Thats how my printrbot is though, it has become a hobby in itself. Mine runs about 700 and you get exactly what you pay for. Its good for impressing your friends but that's where the practicality ends. So don't make my mistake and buy a 700 desk ornament.
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

I have a Mendel90 3D Printer, and willing to help out if i can. Just text me what you need and a link to a 3D drawing and we can figure it out :)

(I do can you some programming/wiring help so a simple trade is fine by me :D )

Martin
Germany
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

Thanks.
Have you seen those protective coverings over the propellears in life boats to prevent people to get cut in the propellars,sort of a mesh constrution.those would be perfect on my rov to protect my propellars.im going to look around for drawings.
I use the rule 1100gph bilge pump motor and 60mm props if that could give you a clue.
I would need 6 of them.and are willing to pay.
i can make them in metal but your 3d printer would sure be a better way( plastic)
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

And i do made my own lighting panel from 4 led spot lights.
250 mili amps per light.4 of them would give you 480 lumen.
I watertested mine.works great.
Its a very cheap and easy way to good lighting,if you want it i can tell you how to make them
Citrushund

Post by Citrushund »

If you could either find me a 3d drawing (preferred) or a picture and i will see what i can do.. :)