ROV progress

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bikerbones1968

Re: ROV progress

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Now the female Banana plugs, with wires pre soldered are slipped through the holes. A little touch of epoxy on each one and push them into the hole. Actually they fit so tightly in the holes I had to use a common nail and a rubber hammer to drive them in the right depth. Once the epoxy has had time to setup and fully cure. I will fill the "well" with QSIL 216 two part silicone sealant just to the top of the plugs. On the inside "well" I will first pour a thinned down firberglass resin this should lock everything in place around the solder joints and down into the holes. When that has had a chance to cure over night I will fill the remaining 1" interior "well" with more QSIL 216. If all goes well its back to the lake for another submersion test to verify I am still leak free.
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (42.79 KiB) Viewed 8360 times
plugs.jpg
plugs.jpg (51.41 KiB) Viewed 8368 times
internal wires.jpg
internal wires.jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
Last edited by bikerbones1968 on Sep 22nd, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

not much longer and well be seeing some under water video!!! :D
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

:( At this pace I will be another two months and will be chopping a hole in the ice to go for a dive
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I have been thinking about how to make standoffs for motor mounts coming off of the Hull. So I thought the potting well idea seemed to be quite secure and held in place by just the glue so why not fabricate another PVC coupling and test it out on a scrap piece of Hull. Well I glued it on and cargo strapped it in place for the night. With the Hull locked tight in the bench vise and both hands firmly grasping it I can pull the entire 8 foot work bench with a couple hundred pounds of tools on it across the floor. It won’t budge. The only way I could break the bond was with a four foot pipe and a substantial amount of force. I think that should be more than sufficient. :lol:
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Thought adding a easy way to carry the ROV with a handle would be good. I may laminate a 1/2" thick piece of PVC directly on the top of the ROV to give lots of material to attach the handle to.
Attachments
carry handle.jpg
carry handle.jpg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

Lookin pretty sweet!!!
Keep us posted!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Thanks KR2. Still sooooooo much to do.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

The first bit of sealing is done sealing the brass sockets in the exterior "potting well".
Attachments
Potting topside.jpg
Potting topside.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 8348 times
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Ok everybody I need to name this thing something other than ROV project. I have never been too good at giving things names Ie my 10 year old male cat only responds to "Man Cat" So I am leaving it up to you to be creative and name this project. LOL I will draw from all the submissions from a hat and that will be its birth name. This name will be air brushed on the completed project and all over youtube when I get to the point I am capturing videos of my dives.

This should be entertaining and I may regret this LMAO

Cheers Anthony
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

"Man Cat II"

I can think of no better name! :)

And if you fell of your chair when you read this, you know the name has to be! :) I think a fierce tiger cat paint job would be appropriate as well!

:D