My "MINIRAY" Rov.

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bigbadbob

Re: My "MINIRAY" Rov.

Post by bigbadbob »

I had another play with a VideoRay recently and it kickstarted my interest in my old project.
I decided on new thrusters that would stand salt water. (my original motors were free flooding)

These are made from small 12v pond pumps housed in 115v 32A plug housings machined down to get rid of un-nessesary bits and slots cut to allow flow to the 50mm Robbe left and right handed props.
props are attached with brass m4 to 1/8" adapters machined up on the modelmakers lathe i inherited from my Dad.
There's plenty of thrust from these little 100gph pumps to push a small Rov.

The new skids are from a model helicopter and adapted to suit.
I hope this gives someone ideas. :P

ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

Where did you get the float from?
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Excellent job good sir. Looks beauteous. Good choice of beer as well.. Soon as mine hits the water, I shall be cracking open a celebration brew.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

I made the float from "Kingspan" house insulation. it's easy to shape with a saw and a sander.
It's then coated in gellcoat filler to stop it soaking up water and a few coats of paint just to finish off.
New vertical thruster is on it's way and a few other bits n pieces.
watch this space.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Demon340 wrote:Excellent job good sir. Looks beauteous. Good choice of beer as well.. Soon as mine hits the water, I shall be cracking open a celebration brew.
Yep me too Demon. thanks for the good comments. 8-)
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

How is it connected to the main body of the rov?
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Hi Chase.
it's just resting there in the picture.
It was just held on with ty-raps before so i need to come up with something better.
maybe some threaded rod down through it and into the hull with a BIG washer and wingnut on top, a bit like the videoray.
I may have to change it anyway when i fit the new vertical thruster so it's on hold for now.
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I'm planning on pvc cementing a small piece of solid plastic round stock with a slight contour on the bottom right to the top of the hull with a threaded hole in it. Run a long bolt down thru the float. Rather not drill "into" the hull.
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Good plan Demon.
I had considered glueing the float on but want it removable so your idea is better. I dont want too many holes in my hull either and cementing pvc to pvc should be pretty strong.
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

PVC cement is incredibly strong, it actually melts the plastic a little as it bonds so you get pretty much a permanent adhesion. Here's a few pictures I found of the top of the Video ray with the float removed. Good reference.
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 7311 times
VR-oil-level-775302.jpg
VR-oil-level-775302.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 7311 times