Squirrel's First ROV Attempt.

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Flying Squirrel

Squirrel's First ROV Attempt.

Post by Flying Squirrel »

Hello Folks,

I figured it was about time to stop lurking and start posting. My goal at the beginning of this project was to build a ROV for under $1500 Canadian dollars ($1150 USD) and using minimal machining.

The initial intention was to build and test the electrical system using basic electro-mechanical systems since that is what I am familiar with, and then eventually retrofit to a digital control system when I prove the concept (and get over my fear of programming). I plan on using the Open ROV 2.8 DevKit to complete the retrofit as it is somewhat turn-key and there are a lot of videos and manuals.

Here is where I am at so far after a little over a year of tinkering when time and money allow.

Any suggestions and hints are appreciated.

The Plan

Based around plumbing supplies the design uses 2" PVC pipes and accessories for the frame and a 4" pipe for the main body.
The end caps on the skids are removable to allow for addition of ballast weights. There are holes drilled in the top and bottom to allow the frame to flood. The main body has limited penetrations and are located on the bottom. The umbilical enters though a strain relief and into a chamber filled with epoxy before entering the main body cavity. There is a water sensor on the floor of the main body.

The thrusters are modified bilge pumps with modified ducted electric RC aircraft fans as props. I have added a fifth thruster for better yaw control. *Note: this could be flawed logic when applied to the water, I am thinking helicopters.

The compass dome is based of Steve's design.

Basic Frame Completed

Proof of concept control board

Proof of concept "K-Boards" and test harness.
They all function as intended with inputs from the control board.

PCB Design for Concept Compass unit based around Dinsmore 1490.

This has been built and tested.

PCB Design for Compass Signal logic processor - Processes 4 Points into 8 Points *NOT TESTED YET*

Flying Squirrel

Re: Squirrel's First ROV Attempt.

Post by Flying Squirrel »

Hello everyone,

Here is a long coming update:

Several changes have been made to the design.

The control system has been changed form analogue controls to digital.

Frame:

- Nose Cone: 1/4" x 4" Dia. Lexan Dome (NOT SHOWN)
- Hull penetrations: IP68 Fittings potted with ProSeal.
- Thrusters: 4X Blue Robotics T100
- Tether: Cat5E Gel Filled Direct Burial
- Lights: 2x MR16 LED

Electronics
Topside:
- Control Computer: Gen 8 I5 Panasonic Tough-book
- HID: Logitech F310 Controller
- Video Monitor: 8" LCD with 7.4V 2500 Mah LiPO Battery in case.
- Interface: Blue Robotics Fathom S

On-board ROV:
- Interface: Blue Robotics Fathom S
- Companion Computer: Arduino R3
- ESC: 4x Afro 30 AMP Basic
- IMU: Adafruit BNO055
- Lighting Control: 10 Amp 1 Channel Arduino Compatible Relay (Different one shown in picture)
- Power: 2x 11.1V 5500 mAh LiPo batteries wired in parallel (Not shown, subbed out for DC power supply in testing)

Optional Hardware
- Autopilot: PixHawk PX4 Advanced (* Not shown, I'm testing this for a future version)

I have done two leak tests so far... the first determined that it leaks! The second determined (thanks to a Contour Roam Camera in a dive case) it leaks from a defect from when I fitted the nose cone. I have a new on on order and am working out how to get a better seal. **No electronics were on-board at the time.

The electronics work on the bench, aside from the IMU which wont report the heading for some reason that my programmer buddy is trying to figure out.

I have also started testing with the PixHawk to try and simplify the internals.

Other than that I am having fun building and learning.
Ian MacKenzie

Re: Squirrel's First ROV Attempt.

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Nice! I like the design.