Wayne's ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
wayno complaino

Wayne's ROV

Post by wayno complaino »

This project is taking what ive learnt from the Micro ROV, scaling it up and increasing the complexity.

The Plan:
-5 thruster design
-HD video feed
-Make as much use of existing parts i have from other hobbies
-Use 3D printing as much as possible
-Manipulator
-Fresh water use
-Only as deep as a 100ft tether and local lakes allow.

So far i have a proven working 100ft tether consisting of polly rope and two twisted pairs. Slightly buoyant.

I have also started printing the thrusters of Ole Hermann design. The directional thrusters will be only used in a single direction so his Kort(?) Nozzle and Bluerobotics style props look like a good safe bet to me. For the central depth thruster i will use his other bidirectional prop and a simplified nozzle in order to try and get more even thrust in both directions. I am printing them from ABS with 100% infill (to stop crushing at depth/leaking water in) at .25 layer height, then polishing/bonding together with Acetone.

Control wise i'm going to use my RC Transmitter with PPM over the tether like the Mini ROV, just with the below mix adding strafe to the ROV too. Feedback on this control setup would be appreciated. I'll be using the same PPM-PWM converter in the ROV end for now.

you get the idea.

HD (720p)video will come from a Raspberry Pi on-board and then transmitted over one UTP using a 'power adapter' exactly like Open ROV do. Got the adapters ready but not tried yet. There will then be an RPi on the top side used to decode the video, record it and output HDMI to an LCD screen and controller. Again all these parts are in hand just yet to test. Using the Rpi will allow future control/stabilization/telemetry/OSD integration. I like the look of the Navio2 but have a few old 8bit APM boards hanging around that could be used.

Frame wise I'm not decided. Housing wise is still up in the air. I know i want to have the batteries watertight for this build though.

For the manipulator i'm just gonna use one of those ebay jobbies, control for it may just be a stripped out servo like Bindo is using.

So far thats it. Any comments, questions or advice very welcome!