Rov Reboot (3D Printed Rov)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
sthone

Re: Rov Reboot (3d Printed)

Post by sthone »

Printer-046.jpg
Printer-046.jpg (546.92 KiB) Viewed 66669 times
Houston we have a problem :shock: ...... I guess it's a good thing it wouldn't fit the pressure pot because when I checked on it an hour later I had a little bit of expansion of the front half. (so much for my gap) It seams like the thicker sections are curing faster probably because of the heat build up. The good new is while it was hot from the curing it wasn't nearly enough to melt anything though.
Printer-047.jpg
Printer-047.jpg (560.03 KiB) Viewed 66669 times
Thankfully it wasn't fully cured yet so I was able to salvage everything with a bit of trimming with a razor blade and a hobby saw. A little sanding later and it will be fine, as long as it doesn't grow any more overnight. :|

-Steve :sting:
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Thar she blows!

i wish you'd set up a timelapse camera to record that :lol:
sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-048.jpg
Printer-048.jpg (585.97 KiB) Viewed 66641 times
So in theory... I'm covering my windows with packing tape, I'm then going to fill this half with balloons the same way I did on the first half, then superglue the other half on top, and then flip it back over and let the balloons settle to the middle of this half and hopefully join with the other half...

... This should be fun. :?

sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-049.jpg
Printer-049.jpg (675.6 KiB) Viewed 66640 times
So far everything worked out pretty well. The filling went well and it glue together nicely, I put a bunch of clamps on it just encase things tried to expand it didn't separate the two halves.
Printer-050.jpg
Printer-050.jpg (560.55 KiB) Viewed 66640 times
I poured it a little short so hopefully it expands again like last time and it will fill in the rest if not I'll just top it off later on and then glue the windows shut.

Now the waiting game starts again....

Bindo

Post by Bindo »

this is why i keep telling my other half i need a 3D printer 8-)

because, this thread!!!
driverpoland

Post by driverpoland »

Very good job at a high level. I question whether the opportunity is to buy from you, this body blue at the pump? 3 pieces. How much it would cost so far to ask only. In the future, yet one I want to build an ROV. Greetings from Poland
sthone

Post by sthone »

Sorry, at the moment I just do not have the time to make these for sale.

Bindo

Post by Bindo »

Steve, how did the other pour turn out?

Just ordered a 3d printer........ i can't NOT have one because or this thread haha <><
sthone

Post by sthone »

It came out good, got it topped of and the windows sealed up. This side didn't blow it's top so I hope there wasn't a huge air bubble in the last one. I haven't tested it yet to see if the buoyancy is going to be enough but I'm hoping to dunk it this weekend and see what happens.

That's awesome.... what printer do you go with?

The key to pleasing the other half is to just start printing useful things for around the house. A hanger here, an organizer there, and they will start to see the positive side of 3d printing. Of course then you'll need another one to keep up with all the stuff they will want. :lol:

Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully they'll help convinse my other half that "we" need one too :P