Rov Reboot (3D Printed Rov)

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Bubbles

Re: Rov Reboot (3d Printed)

Post by Bubbles »

Wow!!!!Really nice construction :shock:
Jaman42

Post by Jaman42 »

Yeah the end result turned out really nice, good job!
sthone

Post by sthone »

Camera Tube 18.jpg
Camera Tube 18.jpg (433.38 KiB) Viewed 60112 times
First try at o-ring end caps so I'm not sure how I did yet but the first side is done anyway.

-Steve
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

there is deffo oring compression there! possibly a little too much?

how hard are the orings you've selected?
sthone

Post by sthone »

Yeah it probably is too much, I can't even get the end cap off now. :oops: They are silicone O-rings and listed as "Durometer is A70". At this point as long as it's sealed I don't care. I'll cut the grooves deeper on the next one.

-Steve :sting:
sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-056.jpg
Printer-056.jpg (137.45 KiB) Viewed 59808 times
Made a little more progress... Printed the new frame sides.
Printer-057.jpg
Printer-057.jpg (415.83 KiB) Viewed 59808 times
The frame sides where printed in some cheap Chinese filament which I didn't properly configure so they came out kind of rough. To get ready for paint I coated them with spot glazing putty and then sand most of it off to smooth things out. Here you can see one coated and the other sanded they are not perfect but good enough for the prototype.

Now it's on to the painting process.....

sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-056.jpg
Printer-056.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
It's been a long time since I've worked on this but I'm trying to get back into it. Something happened to my control system since the last time I tested everything and I couldn't get it to work right so instead of wasting time tearing the old one apart I just decided to redo it from scratch. I started by designing a new projects box and then 3D printed it in PETG so it would withstand the heat of the wax waterproofing process.
Printer-058.jpg
Printer-058.jpg (838.63 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
I used four of the H-bridge relays I use on the Seafox just because I know they can handle the amps of the bilge pumps. (I'm not sure if one of the relays I used last time crapped out or what... it worked when I put it away.) The projects box was designed to hold these four relays securely in the center.
Printer-057.jpg
Printer-057.jpg (817.73 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
It's not my cleanest solder work as I rushed everything just to get going again. I added quick disconnects to the thruster too just encase I had to redo it again in the future I could easily just swap it out. I didn't take any pictures of the wax poring process as I've gone over that before in the The Basic Rov Control System Wiring Manual.
Printer-060.jpg
Printer-060.jpg (693.79 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
A few pictures before some quick lake trials.
Printer-059.jpg
Printer-059.jpg (679.97 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
Ready for the float test... (I was crossing my fingers here)
Printer-061.jpg
Printer-061.jpg (739.55 KiB) Viewed 58338 times
Well it floats.... that's a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOj77rxLPmE

Here is some video of the first control tests... it's not very exciting but it looks like it going to work out. It's not balanced correctly yet I still have to add the camera pod and mini manipulator I designed for it so it's pushing the nose up right now. It actually might be a little to fast for just on/off control though so I might have to add a speed control up top to limit the power to the thruster. I'll figure that much out when I get to it.

Hopefully it's not another couple years before the next update. :?

fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

It looks realy nice and very fast indeed.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-062.jpg
Printer-062.jpg (670.27 KiB) Viewed 58309 times
Found the time to start the other camera pod end cap today and I did a much better job this time cutting the channels for the o-rings. I found a guide online and was able to figure out the proper depth they should be this time. They still might not be perfect yet but at least I can remove this end cap unlike the last one. I still have a bit more machining to do to this cap but I'm going to try and get it in the pressure chamber tomorrow and give it a test to see if it's waterproof before I go any further.
Printer-063.jpg
Printer-063.jpg (164.22 KiB) Viewed 58309 times
Did a quick mock up too while I was at it to make sure it fits in the frame. So far so good.....

sthone

Post by sthone »

Printer-064.jpg
Printer-064.jpg (911.14 KiB) Viewed 58306 times
I dug out the old pressure chamber today to test my caps out... unfortunately my PSI gauge was messed up (it reads 20-30 PSI) with no pressure so the 100PSI reading shown here is not correct. I do however have a scuba depth gauge so I threw that in the chamber with the camera housing.
Printer-065.jpg
Printer-065.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 58306 times
The first tests were a success as there was no water in the housing. The max depth on the gauge showed right around 170' which should be in the neighborhood of 70-80PSI which is about right for house water pressure. This Rov will never see that depth so I should be good with the seal the o-rings are providing.

Next I have to machine out some recesses on the one end cap and drill some holes for the through connectors for the 5 wires. After that I will have to re-test in back in the chamber before installing the actual camera. Overall things are going well and it feels great to be making progress on this project again.