Perla ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
PerlaROV

Perla ROV

Post by PerlaROV »

Hi all, this is my ROV, Perla.
It's the second attempt to wet my feet ;) unfortunately the old ROV was too difficoult to complete, so I had to start with this new frame (tnx to all Steve's hints!).

Perla has 4 brush motors, of course they are going to die in a few hours but I decided to start with them because of budget problems, you know...
On board I've also installed 2 multi-led lights and one IR security camera with its own dome.
The electronic "brain" is a relè board with specific software, the tether is a lan 30 metres long (about 100ft) connected to the pc through a USB extender.
What else? Well, when everything works fine I've a couple of other things to add: manipulator/hands and a new camera that I'll change into a tilting one.

I have also posted the pic of the first ROV (the silver one). It's made in kevlar and carbon fiber with a kevlar skeleton inside. All the electronics and other stuff are like Perla's, but it had its 4 motors on the rear wings. My idea was that every movement would be done using 1 or more motors. I had too many leaks of water.....game over!

Beg your pardon for my English :lol:
Attachments
Perla ROV
Perla ROV
20131030_125003_1.jpg (204.97 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
The first ROV attempt
The first ROV attempt
23122011021(1)_1.jpg (232.02 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
Silver dollar

Re: Perla ROV

Post by Silver dollar »

I really like both of your builds! But the silver-ROV is so good looking.
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

Looks really good. Though I'm not familiar with a "relè board". What kind of box did you use for the main housing? How did you seal it?

Thanks!
sthone

Post by sthone »

Very nice builds... to bad that bottom one didn't work out it is very slick looking. Have you had the Perla in the water yet?

Blow the motors out with compressed air and spray a little WD-40 in them after each use and they might last awhile.

-Steve :sting:
PerlaROV

Post by PerlaROV »

Finally, after long works, Perla is back!
I completely re-designed the old version as follows:

- Xbox360 controller
- arduino 2009 (soon developing in UNO)
- ESC for each brushed motor
- arduino sensors for: temperature of the water, inner temperature and humidity of the Rov's body, batteries' voltage, inner temperature and humidity of the camera's plexiglass cilynder
- IP camera to see what "happens around" :D
- kinda of Go-PRo camera to tape my dives
- Processing language for GUI
- the ROV is connected to the surface (i.e. my old pc) through a router and a USB hub
- I've also bought a goggle monitor

In few days I'll try my Rov in a lake not far from here. I'll post news just i dive.
My other future developments will be:
- depth sensor
- gyro sensor
- brushless motors and ESCs
- arm(s) with pinch
- LiPo batteries to replace actual 6v-7Ah lead batteries.

I confess that I had many problems programming both Arduino and Processing, but I finally ended my work. I've a working software even if I can surely improve it.
Oldsirhippy

Post by Oldsirhippy »

Well done, a well equipped ROV that also looks good. I look forward to seeing more pics.