Arduino compatible depth sensor

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
rovdude

Arduino compatible depth sensor

Post by rovdude »

I'm looking for an Arduino depth sensor, and any information on where the pins of the sensor go. I do not currently have a board, and have no prior experience with Arduino, so any help is appreciated. If anyone knows what the general code might look like that would also be helpful.
bikerbones1968

Re: Arduino compatible depth sensor

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Will let you know as soon as I can figure that out myself. :shock: I am researching for information but its not that easy finding ROV "parts", you almost always have to adapt something for these things every time you have an idea.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Thanks bones. Been doing some research myself too. Found one that would work but wouldnt make it all the way to the 100 ft i want to reach. However i did find one of these would probably be sufficient:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch ... &PV144=592

The second one in particular because it has the correct input voltage and gives an analog reading. I saw several of these sensors with more than just the 3 pins needed to connect to the Arduino, usually 6 pins on them, but I found out u can just leave then out. Hopefully this applies to this 4 pin one too. Do you know anything about this? I know one is needed for input voltage, one for ground, and one for signal(analog), but can one be left out like on other examples ive seen?
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

So at digikey I contacted a tech and they said the first pin is used for supply, pin 2 for analog, and pin 3 for ground. All the others(there are actually 8), are not used

The link for the sensor is at:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2178295
jconduto

Post by jconduto »

I am using the MPX4250AP and you can buy from DIGIKEY.
I can send you the Arduino code
adambrum

Post by adambrum »

How are you waterproofing these sensors ?
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

I'm using the ASDXAVX100PGAA5 through digikey... heres my code stripped of everything else

float depthVolt, depthPsi, depthFeet;
depthVolt = analogRead(depthSensor) * (5/1024); //Takes 0-1023 reading and converts to volts by finding volts per unit
depthPsi = (depthVolt/0.04); // Depth Sensor Honeywell A Calibration: 10%-90% of supply voltage
depthFeet = (depthPsi) * 2.30665873688; //(PSI) * conversion factor
Serial.println(depthPsi + " PSI");
Serial.println(depthFeet + "Feet");
How are you waterproofing these sensors ?
I'm putting mine inside of a drybox otterbox. They are good down to 100 feet, which is exactly my target. My arduino boards(using 2 because a light sensor is messing up the readings and timings for everything else I am using), the motor shield, and a breadboard along with all of my sensors will be housed in there. Hopefully.....hopefully the pressure is proportional inside the box as is outside.
fluxno

Post by fluxno »

rovdude wrote: I'm putting mine inside of a drybox otterbox. Hopefully.....hopefully the pressure is proportional inside the box as is outside.
the pressure inside will remain at zero pressure until water comes in ;-) a closed container is called often "atmospheric container" meaning that the pressure inside is equal to atmospheric pressure.
you need to connect a hose to the pressure inlet, and to the outside/water. but.... the sensor youve got is only for air. it has exposed wires inside where it measures the pressure.(see page 4 in datasheet)
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

the pressure inside will remain at zero pressure until water comes in a closed container is called often "atmospheric container" meaning that the pressure inside is equal to atmospheric pressure.
you need to connect a hose to the pressure inlet, and to the outside/water. but.... the sensor youve got is only for air. it has exposed wires inside where it measures the pressure.(see page 4 in datasheet)
Thank you for the information before I tried it lol. Now for the solution.... well I will have to think about that. When I come up with one will post on here.
rovdude

Post by rovdude »

Maybe... just a thought right now, have the sensor in a bag of air. The air in the bag, I would assume, would have the same pressure as outside the bag. As long as the bag is not completely fillled with air, I think it would proportionally and directly react to pressure. Or put the sensor in a waterproof bag without excess air. Not sure, just spitting out ideas.