Inquiry about wattage calculation

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
hanboby

Inquiry about wattage calculation

Post by hanboby »

I am writing to get the information needed to calculate the amount of current required for the ROV.
Motor Specification 25.2v 24.5A(cw)22.7A(CCW) 6pcs
It consists of 3 5v 6A electronic equipment.
Any idea how to calculate the amperage wattage required for this configuration?
JonnoLad

Re: Inquiry about wattage calculation

Post by JonnoLad »

Hi,

I would try to calculate the "worst case" current and power for your ROV; in other words the most power that it will ever be able to use at once. This will allow you to make sure that all of your electronics are able to handle the load that they receive.

For the current draw of the motors, I would use the higher current draw (CW in this case), so 24.5 x 6 = 147 A
power can be calculated using P = V I, so 25.2 x 147 = 3704.4 W

for the electronics, I will presume that you are using some kind of power supply modules to convert the 25.2V battery voltage down to 5V.

Using P= V I again, 5 x 6 = 30, Which means that the electronics are using 30W x 3 = 90W

Now we can work out the current draw from the battery of the electronics modules, so we need to estimate the power used by the power supply modules. because we know that this is 90W, we can re-arrange the power equation to get current:

I = P / V , so 90 / 25.2 = 3.57 A

We can now add the powers and currents together. 147 + 3.57 = 150.57 A , and 3704.4 + 90 = 3794.4 W

This means that the absolute maximum power and current draw to expect is 3794.4 W and 150.57 A Respectively.

I hope that this helps, although there's a high chance that I misunderstood the question, so just say if I didn't give you the information that you needed. If you add anything else such as lights then you will need to re-calculate these values.