Using a Load Cell as a Depth Sensor

Other than control. (Navigation, Sonar, Ect.)
rjamaro

Using a Load Cell as a Depth Sensor

Post by rjamaro »

Hi all,

I was wondering to use a load sensor such as "SEN-10245" as a depth sensor. The reason is that depth sensors are too much expensive and in my mind a load sensor should do the job... if we consider that 1 bar is 1 kg per cm2 so 30 bars are 30 kg per cm2.

For my searches on the net a normal depth sensor is all over 100USD and a load sensor is cheap as 10 USD.

What do you guys think on this?

Regards and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Jaman42

Re: Using a Load Cell as a Depth Sensor

Post by Jaman42 »

Hi there, I have found plenty resonable priced on Ebay, what's your target depth?

Here you have one for just above 10 USD http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-4-5-VDC-0-1 ... sz&vxp=mtr that will handle close to 350psi, around 230m depth.
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Another. 3-wire connection. Simpler to waterproof, more compact but less depth than the automotive type. The automotive type would be easier to use if you are willing to drill, tap and seal a hole in the hull.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1612&p=9638&hilit= ... ucer#p9638
rjamaro

Post by rjamaro »

Thank you all for your reply. My depth target is 300 meters.

After seeing your replies I went to ebay and I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/G1-4-Pressure-T ... z&vxp=mtr

To be honest I didn't knew that these type of sensors could also be used...

It looks good, but I'm not very confident on how the corrosion will apply to the sensor... according with the specs the sensor is made from Carbon Steel alloy... doesn't it corrodes?

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
RA
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

If you think corrosion may be a problem then a small oil bladder will stop water getting in. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=879&p=7348&hilit=glove#p7348
Attaching the finger to the sensor could be a bit tricky. Maybe glue a small diameter tube onto the outside of the hull over the transducer hole and stretch the finger over that?
rjamaro

Post by rjamaro »

Thanks guys!

Awesome support from you! I think I'll order the sensor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G1-4-Pressure ... ~#shpCntId, then with some sort of blather or a flexible tube with oil in it and I think it will work fine.
Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

Hi,
I have bought the same sensor and plan to fill the hole with grease. I think that will be enough to prevent the corrosion.
Bindo

Post by Bindo »

if you had a fitting with a hose tail on the water side, you could fit a length of very flexible hose (IE Tygon) to the hose barb, fill with oil and cap off,

you'll still get pressure readings, and there will be no risk of your sensor getting wrecked.
rjamaro

Post by rjamaro »

thanks for your reply.

I just ordered the sensor :D...let's see how it goes :D
TigerShark

Post by TigerShark »

I am using the same sensor with 500PSI rating. I think if it is stainless it should be ok in seawater. I plan to rinse it out after each run.